• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dalto

My opinion is that EBMM makes a lot of really great guitars. I own far more of them than I should given my playing skill. From their classic guitars like the Silo, AL and Axis to some of the models released in the last couple of years like the Cutlass, Valentine and St Vincent each model brings it's own thing to the table.

However, the one that somehow always seems to surprise me is my AL HH. It is just an amazing guitar. It is versatile, comfortable and it always sounds great.

I can't believe more people don't own one of these.

Magic Jason

I do agree with you. The Albert Lee HH is by far my favorite axe ever. I see three reasons why they aren't more popular:

1) Their body shape doesn't appeal to everyone.

2) They are not stocked in stores and you can't try them, you have to order. I travelled twice to the USA this year, visited every shop I could in 6 different States, couldn't find ONE. And I'm not even talking about Europe.

3) The actual colours offered are BOOOOOOOORRING. Black is so "already seen" and the wallnut looks, IMHO, as an old piece of furniture. While MM most certainly has excellent reasons for such a limited choice, it is a bit frustrating. The Majesty on the other hand is offered in every finish in the galaxy.

Last edited:

Pott

My favorite stock guitar in the world. I've had three so far. It's just perfect for me: lightweight, feels great, sounds exactly like I want an electric guitar to sound.

Agreed on the color. At this point I'd sell a kidney for a blue one... :( My coral red was stolen and I miss it even though I didn't enjoy the color; but I replaced it with a black one and even the carbon pickguard isn't helping all THAT much...

Rialas

Jason summarises it as it is.
How is it going to be popular if you can't get them.

Last edited:

TripHazard

Concur with everything said (although i don't mind Walnut :) ) - i have a SSS and HH, and HH is my go to guitar. Its the only guitar in my collection you'd have to pry out of my cold dead hands. Bought it off a fellow forumite from Canada - White one, which had been discontinued as a colour

Jamie M

For what ever reason they are all underrated. I know people here in the UK who have played for years who have never even heard of Musicman, Go figure, their loss.

steevo

For what ever reason they are all underrated. I know people here in the UK who have played for years who have never even heard of Musicman, Go figure, their loss.

They need more visibility in stores and I think people would love what they have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kestrou

What EBMM needs is more guys *gigging* their guitars - that's what gets them seen.

I was playing last weekend at Arrowhead Resort (in the mountains above Los Angeles) and was using two Morse Y2Ds (including a Starry Night) - and NUMEROUS others, in the band and audience, were commenting on what a great looking guitar and tone I had.

Those that I let them rub those roasted maple necks for themselves were instant converts! :)

Kevin

dalto

I do agree with you. The Albert Lee HH is by far my favorite axe ever. I see three reasons why they aren't more popular:

1) Their body shape doesn't appeal to everyone.

2) They are not stocked in stores and you can't try them, you have to order. I travelled twice to the USA this year, visited every shop I could in 6 different States, couldn't find ONE. And I'm not even talking about Europe.

3) The actual colours offered are BOOOOOOOORRING. Black is so "already seen" and the wallnut looks, IMHO, as an old piece of furniture.
I have to be honest, the shape turned me away from this guitar for a long time. It wasn't until I met someone who owned one and held it in my hands that I knew I had to have one.

It was only a couple of years ago that you could see EBMM guitars hanging on the shelves at local retailers. I am not sure what the retail market looks like everywhere else but it seems increasingly polarized here locally. The big box stores are increasingly filled with lower end instruments and the smaller stores are either focused on boutique products or vintage. At this point, I have do all my instrument shopping sight unseen over the internet.

PS. After reading your post last night I woke up to find my Trans Walnut AL HH was missing from the wall. I found it hiding in it's case. It was crying.

Magic Jason

PS. After reading your post last night I woke up to find my Trans Walnut AL HH was missing from the wall. I found it hiding in it's case. It was crying.

She must have been crying of joy : looks like she has found a loving home and a worthy owner! :)

vic_loher

I would definitely have more MM guitars if I could try before I buy. Love my AL HH, but don't like the color at all. Thought about having it painted, but am afraid it wouldn't feel the same (love the setup and feel right from the factory).

spychocyco

It was only a couple of years ago that you could see EBMM guitars hanging on the shelves at local retailers. I am not sure what the retail market looks like everywhere else but it seems increasingly polarized here locally. The big box stores are increasingly filled with lower end instruments and the smaller stores are either focused on boutique products or vintage. At this point, I have do all my instrument shopping sight unseen over the internet.

I used to drive a couple of hours to the nearest GC a few years ago to play EBMMs, and I played some awesome ones -- a couple I regret not being able to buy. It's not worth the trip now. They're not there. They may have a couple of basses, but no six-stringers.

I've been seeing a lack of variety in general in guitar stores over the last few years. At least around here, if it's not a Fender (MiM or Squier mostly) or an Epiphone, you're going to have to order it. A lot of low-end guitars, and if there are one or two higher-end pieces they're always an F or a G. The store where I take lessons does offer a little more variety (though still mostly from the Fender family -- Jackson, Charvel, Gretsch, etc.) and a few higher-end options, I still struggle to find guitars I like. Which, I guess, is not an entirely bad thing for the budget. :)

I'd love to be able to try out more EBMM models. I know an Axis is pretty much always going to satisfy me, but it's a lot of money to plunk down on a model that's an unknown. I also understand the realities of business, too, and people are looking for the "big brands." I'm just glad I got my hands on an Axis and realized that neck was "the one" while a local store still carried them.

xjbebop

In my humble opinion, fwiw, I enjoy playing and being part of the 'exclusive' EBMM family.
The way more common big names make plenty of good / great guitars... that's why they're so "common". Heck, even prs has become a 'common' guitar... good for them.
As far as I can tell, EBMM is doing well as a business. I've certainly done my part to support them :)
No idea if they even want to expand and/or become huge, but if they did, we would likely see the products and customer service change. Maybe even suffer.
As far as buying more EBMM instruments, they are still cranking them out. And though it's hard (if not impossible...) to find just what you're looking for locally to try out, there are plenty of ways to order safely with great return policies.
Not to mention the used market....

as for colors, I know it's a very personal matter. I, too, wasn't even interested in the AL model for a number of years because of the 'strange' shape. Then one day I saw a trans walnut and it intrigued me enough to actually give it a try.
I very quickly realized what I'd been missing and that became my first 'keeper' EBMM.
And my black MM90 is always vying for the number 1 spot on my go to list. It's beautiful in it's simplicity, and I really don't even notice the color when I'm playing it...

spychocyco

In my humble opinion, fwiw, I enjoy playing and being part of the 'exclusive' EBMM family.
The way more common big names make plenty of good / great guitars... that's why they're so "common". Heck, even prs has become a 'common' guitar... good for them.

Fair point. I've always had that metal kid desire to be part of a club that wasn't popular. :) And I do love the reaction I get every time the Starry Night PDN comes out of its case around someone new. Definitely wouldn't get that pop with a more common guitar. Still, it would be nice to get my hands on a different one every now and then to try it out.

xjbebop

Ya know, after further consideration, I want to add that I also get the OP's point. In a way it would be nice if the AL were more popular to the point of having more of them available in stores and in more colors to choose from.
Who knows...with the popularity of all the 'new' models, perhaps the AL might see a resurgence... ???

Top Bottom