• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MaxTT

The minister for finance has approved my next guitar purchase, and I am goint to nab either a Cutlass or an AL sss. I note the Cutlass neck does not have the gunnoil finish (any reason why?), and I am wondering if this is a big factor. I am particulrly interested in a good playing neck, so this is important (although I suppose I could do a home oiling on a cutlass). Thoughts?

vic_loher

Max,
I have both the Cutlass and AL. I do wish the Cutlass had the gunoil finish, but I don't really find the satin finish to be problematic. As you mentioned, you could sand it and refinish if you found you didn't like it.

Vic

mikeller

I have both as well, and would agree with Vic. The satin finish is very very thin and smooth and I really don't notice it.

Aside from the satin, both necks are different. Do you have an opportunity to play both before deciding?

LesPaul

I have a Cutlass, 2 Majesties and a JP6 BFR. The Cutlass and the Majesties are satin finish necks, the BFR has an unfinished neck. I switch between the 4 very easily. They all feel great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MikeVt

Funny....I have a Cutlass with the oil finish, and as nice and smooth as it is, I think I would still prefer the satin finish. I used to love the finish on the neck of my Sub1.

Mike

dalto

I have a Cutlass and an AL SSS. I prefer the gunoil finish but honestly both are great. The satin neck is really well done. For me, that would not be the deciding factor.

The necks themselves have different profiles. Perhaps more importantly, the two guitars are a bit different tonally.

MaxTT

Mikeller, EBMM are rarer than hen's teeth here, so have to go on advice ;)
Thanks all for the input, methinks a cutlass is in order

Top Bottom