• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TheGame

Hi Everyone,

After a very long wait, I was finally able to get an EBMM Majesty guitar. But I need some help and advice on a few issues I am having.

Firstly, I was trying to adjust my tremolo with the little screw that is underneath the bridge so you can adjust how tight or loose the tremolo bar is. I like my tremolo to be fairly tight, however when trying to adjust the little screw to make the tremolo tighter, I accidentally stripped the screw. Ernie Ball was extremely kind to send me a replacement screw, but the problem is, since the screw I was originally using appears to be stripped and I cannot get a hex wrench/key to loosen or tighten that screw.

Like I stated above, Ernie Ball was extremely kind in sending me a replacement screw, but I do not know how to get the stripped screw out. Does anyone have suggestions or know how I can fix this issue? I would be extremely grateful.

I don't mean to add another question to this post, but I am also wondering how you adjust intonation on the majesty. I see the six holes underneath the tremolo, but what tool do I use - a Hex Key/Hex wrench? I know my JP13 has screws so it is pretty straightforward, but these holes that appear to be where you adjust intonation are very small, and I have no idea what tool I need to adjust intonation

Again, I appreciate any help and/or advice to help me get this fixed. Right now my number one priority is getting the stripped tremolo screw that controls how loose or tight your tremolo bar is out and putting the new tremolo screw in that Ernie Ball was so awesome to send to me.

Thank you all again for any support, advice, or solutions to this.

Best regards,

TheGame

TheGame

I have a brand new Allen wrench set so I am not sure I do not know why the screw stripped like it did. I am at a loss, since it the tremolo bar screw is stripped, I am trying to figure out a way to unscrew it and get it out so I can put the replacement screw in.

As far as intonation goes, I saw a pic where a member removed the top part of the tremolo to access the screws to adjust the saddles to proper intonation, I have no idea how to remove that.

Right now, I am just looking for some kind of solution to get the stripped screw out, so I can replace it with a replacement EBMM sent me.

I Sincerely want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread. I really appreciate everyone trying to help me out to resolve this issue with the tremolo locking screw.

Any additional help would be grateful. It really bothers me that my tremolo bar is loose and doesn't stay in place when I try to do tremolo techniques.

mikeller

Congrats on the Majesty!

I need to point out - the hex screw UNDER the bridge raises or lowers the trem arm. The hex screw that tightens the swing is on the back of brass bridge block - you will want to press down on the trem arm and look at the back of the block and you will see it. (If I mis-read your post, I apologize)

As far as removing the stripped - that is a bit more difficult. I would try to get a small screw driver, maybe like one of those screw drivers used for tightening eyeglass arms and see if you can find something to catch on to turn it out.

spychocyco

Have you tried the rubber band trick? Not sure how it would work with a hex screw, but it often works with standard screws. Put a rubber band between the stripped hole and the wrench, apply pressure and turn slowly. With a screwdriver, you'd use a slightly larger head than the screw size.

TheGame

Congrats on the Majesty!

I need to point out - the hex screw UNDER the bridge raises or lowers the trem arm. The hex screw that tightens the swing is on the back of brass bridge block - you will want to press down on the trem arm and look at the back of the block and you will see it. (If I mis-read your post, I apologize)

As far as removing the stripped - that is a bit more difficult. I would try to get a small screw driver, maybe like one of those screw drivers used for tightening eyeglass arms and see if you can find something to catch on to turn it out.

IS there a pic that you can show me that will tighten the tremolo arm? When I press down on the trem arm and look at the back of the block, I see 3 holes there. 2 spaced apart towards the middle, and on on the right side where the tremolo arm is. The one on the right where the trem arm is is the screw I was trying to tighten but it got stripped.

TheGame

Have you tried the rubber band trick? Not sure how it would work with a hex screw, but it often works with standard screws. Put a rubber band between the stripped hole and the wrench, apply pressure and turn slowly. With a screwdriver, you'd use a slightly larger head than the screw size.

hi,

No I have not tried the rubber band trick but it sound promising. I can try that.

Again I thank you all for your continued support and being kind enough to help me, I sincerely appreciate it!

mikeller

IS there a pic that you can show me that will tighten the tremolo arm? When I press down on the trem arm and look at the back of the block, I see 3 holes there. 2 spaced apart towards the middle, and on on the right side where the tremolo arm is. The one on the right where the trem arm is is the screw I was trying to tighten but it got stripped.

OK - yes, the one on the back of the block where the arm is correct.

TheGame

Hi mikeller,

Unfortunately I have had no luck trying to get that tremolo screw out. Like I stated in a post above, Ernie Ball was kind enough to send me a replacement screw, but I cannot get the screw that is stripped out. I like my tremolo to be fairly tight. For my playing style, it makes it easier to access the tremolo rather than the tremolo being completely loose and swinging all over the place. I had no issues tightening the tremolo bar on my JP13, and I am kind of perplexed as to why the screw on the Majesty got stripped. I was careful to use the correct allen wrench, but I still stripped the screw. I have no idea how to get that stripped tremolo screw out and replace it with the new one.

I want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread with their help and advice to try to help me get this stripped screw out, I sincerely appreciate it. As of right now though, I still cannot get the stripped screw out.

Any further suggestions and/or solutions would be extremely appreciated.

And again, I thank all who have posted to try to help me with this issue.

Sincerely,
TheGame

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If the rubber band is too thick, try a thin surgical latex glove.

Some also recommend a drop of superglue or something similar on the tip of your allen wrench. If the head of the screw is recessed make sure it's tiny enough that none spills out of the screw head and glues the darn into the screw hole. if the head of the screw is not recessed, i.e. is sticking out of the block a little this is less of an issue. Note: some people say the glue trick is a waste of time. I'd try it myself but not hold much hope.

If all else fails, buy a reverse twist drill bit, a little smaller than the screw diameter (your drill will need a reverse mode). As the drill bit tries to drill into the screw, it will be turning to the left and unscrewing it. In fact with some downward pressure you may be able to do it by hand, turning the bit counter clockwise, rather than using a drill.

I'd recommend taking the bridge off the guitar to avoid any accidents with drills or dropped bits.

mikeller

Aside from DrKev great suggestions - were you able to try to wiggle a small screw driver in there and catch an edge? Or maybe get a set off allen wrenches and try the very next size up?

Top Bottom