• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

morrissey007

Hi, I'm going to purchase a Valentine in the next couple of weeks and have one small concern, It looks like its strung with 11s, I'm used to playing (on a Strat) with Super Slinkys (9s) I'm a little concerned the 11s would be to heavy for my decrepit fingers, so a few questions; could I change it to 9s? Will it take them ok or is it really not suited to them? ? And if it does take them ok then would I need to change any other setup if I put 9s on?

Thank you!

RichieZ

I'm sure you'll get more experienced answers than mine, but I can't imaging 9s would be a problem. I have 10s on my Valentine. Definitely will need truss rod and intonation adjustments... but both are easily done.

BrickGlass

You can typically use any size of string you want on most guitars. It will likely need some adjusting of the truss rod, and on a guitar with a floating bridge it requires adjusting of the screw claws so that the bridge becomes level again. When going from a smaller gauge to a thicker gauge the nut slots may need widening to avoid binding.

QuietSpike

Just got my valentine...

I run 11s on my Tele, and 10s on my JPs... I find the "feel" to be the same.

The 11s on the valentine feel heavier than on my Tele, but fit the guitar really well. Tonally, they sound great. I won't be changing them, but don't see any reason why you couldn't run 9s on them.

morrissey007

Hi All, Thank you for the quick replies! I'll try the 11s to start with and see where I go from there, nice to know I can go down a gauge If I need to. Big jump for me, never had an EBMM before and I'm actually going to trade a beautiful AAAA LP Premium Quilt for this, as I sit down to play and I'm tired of it overbalancing, so what do you folk think of your Valentines then? What do you like about them and do you reckon they balance well when sitting to play?
Thank All.

RichieZ

Again... I'm a newbie... but I find it balances well... exactly like Morse demonstrates in the video with his model. It sounds great, although my playing doesn't. The range of tones is exceptional. Really bright punchy bridge to very warm neck humbucker and everything in between. The neck pickup, when split, is very Strat-like to my ears.

I think you'll find the feel is, at it's core, like a Telecaster. It is, however, quite a bit thinner than a Tele, even at the bottom(thickest), then gets even thinner as it goes up. It also, therefore, feels lighter. Since you've never had an EBMM, I think what will strike you most about it is the quality, attention to detail, and fit and finish. It's just incredible. There is no "bling" on this guitar. No flame top, no binding... but all materials and every part if it is is of exceptional quality... as is it's assembly. When I grab other guitars in stores or at friends homes and then come back to it, that is what I find to be the biggest contrast.

...oh... and that neck. Wait until you feel that neck.

I must add though, honestly, The guitar you're trading is definitely my holy grail guitar. I haven't played many, but I do get what you're saying about balance. The Valentine, to me, is much more ergonomic... and an amazing instrument. But it'd be a tough call on that swap.

Hi All, Thank you for the quick replies! I'll try the 11s to start with and see where I go from there, nice to know I can go down a gauge If I need to. Big jump for me, never had an EBMM before and I'm actually going to trade a beautiful AAAA LP Premium Quilt for this, as I sit down to play and I'm tired of it overbalancing, so what do you folk think of your Valentines then? What do you like about them and do you reckon they balance well when sitting to play?
Thank All.

Last edited:

dalto

Thank All.

I play while sitting almost exclusively and the Valentine balances very well for my playing position.

morrissey007

Guys I cant thank you enough for your replies and help, I really appreciate it. The video says it all (Thank you Dr Kev!) and if the Valentine balances as well as the Steve Morse then I'm sold! And RitchieZ; I get your desire for the LP but I have three guitars hanging on my wall, the LP, a 2016 Strat American Deluxe and a 2017 American Elite Tele and I hardly ever pick up the LP! Its a royal pain when sitting (which is how I always play at home) The Strat is always my go to guitar followed by the tele, I then started reading about EBMM and thought; well the LP is fast becoming a dusty (expensive) wallhanging (and I never 'bonded' with it if that makes sense, but I love my Strat) so lets see what all the fuss is about and grab an EB. And if they're as good as everyone says...well Heck , I might even get a cutlass too! - (is the Morse body shape a cutlass I wonder or unique?)

RichieZ

I understand what you're saying 100%... guitars are meant to be played. The Valentine, and all EBMMs for that matter, certainly are. I think you'll love it(them) and you'll bond very quickly. I look forward to some NGD Day pics.

This one collects no dust. IMG_1116.jpg IMG_1122.jpg IMG_1118.jpg IMG_1119.jpg IMG_1121.jpg

Guys I cant thank you enough for your replies and help, I really appreciate it. The video says it all (Thank you Dr Kev!) and if the Valentine balances as well as the Steve Morse then I'm sold! And RitchieZ; I get your desire for the LP but I have three guitars hanging on my wall, the LP, a 2016 Strat American Deluxe and a 2017 American Elite Tele and I hardly ever pick up the LP! Its a royal pain when sitting (which is how I always play at home) The Strat is always my go to guitar followed by the tele, I then started reading about EBMM and thought; well the LP is fast becoming a dusty (expensive) wallhanging (and I never 'bonded' with it if that makes sense, but I love my Strat) so lets see what all the fuss is about and grab an EB. And if they're as good as everyone says...well Heck , I might even get a cutlass too! - (is the Morse body shape a cutlass I wonder or unique?)

Last edited:

xjbebop

9's, 10's, or even 9.5's won't be a problem. Try some diff gauges until you find what works for you and that gittar.

Top Bottom