• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

marco_aor

Hi
i am new member here, but long time MM user. i had a Axis Super Sport, Silhouette Special.
Now my main axe is Luke 2 and newest one is mystic green JP60, that is incredible and on par with my Luke.

Now i have a set of Transitions pickups and still trying to decide whether to change the original pickups.
And add a push push to split coils in mid position (and maybe also put the neck humbucker in parallel with the switch in neck position for a more single coil sound without hum).

Suggestions on stock pickups vs transitions? any specs of the stock ones? of course i am a huge fan of Lukather.

marco_aor

I'm kind of lost on which one you are wanting to change. The JP60 pickups, or the L2?

Hi Brian
sorry if it was not clear.
thinking to change JP60 pickups, so i was asking specs and opinions on Sterling pickups in that model.
thank you

SBMM

Got it!

The stock JP60 pickups are based around the Crunch Lab/Liqui-Fire DiMarzios, so you have that type of tone/signature type of sound.
The Transitions have a fantastic 'glassy' tone/quality to them, voicing is very different from the CL/LF.

It's going to boil down to your personal preference, obviously. Both the JP60 and our SBMM LK100D (which comes stock with the Transitions) have Basswood bodies, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound comparison on them.

To me, if you are going to upgrade to the Transitions, it will be a must to wire them so that you take advantage of the 4 conductor capability. You can add a push-pull to the Tone or Volume VR (or both and create an in/out phase circuit).

Either way you go, I think you are going to be happy as long as it is the tonality that you're searching for. They can always be put back to stock as well.

marco_aor

Thank you Brian

my first target was a LK100D, but i wanted 24 frets and a more modern neck profile.
So now i think JP60 with Transitions would be the best option for me. If not satisfied i will go back to stock pickups, i am already satisfied with their sound indeed.

Top Bottom