• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

alban.dunford

I have 2 Lukes.
the first has an amazing neck but the second one has a much thinner neck.
Can anyone tell me what the model is and why the neck is much thinner. IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0952 (1).jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Those Lukes look both like standard Lukes (i.e. Luke IIs). There are small differences from neck to neck feel due to the hand sanding in the factory and some forumites here will say, like you, that they have slightly different thickness necks, but there was never a change in production dimensions.

And welcome to the forum family!

mikeller

As DrKev said - it is a standard Luke II but with the optional piezo.

I had one exactly like it (same finish and piezo) and I thought the neck felt small too - the V shape was more pronounced I think and that led it to feeling smaller. Great guitar and amazing sounding just the same!

alban.dunford

Definitely not the same neck. My first Luke has a wider an thicker neck than this one.
The strings are a lot closer together Luke.jpg
I guess its difficult to see, but i will measure the width of the two necks. and strings

Last edited:

beej

There shouldn't be any difference in the width - the necks are CNC produced to the same specs. But as Kev says, they're hand sanded so they can feel thicker or thinner, or with a slightly different profile.

MikeVt

Could one be counterfeit? From the pics, it almost looks like the blade selectors are in different positions on the body.

Mike

alban.dunford

Ok.. Thanks to John Quinn from musicman.
They are both Luke 2
I measured the neck and surprised myself.
Although the neck is thinner ( the first Luke has a deeper V on the neck) the fretboard is the same.
I must say it feels much thinner in my hands.
The difference is only a few mm but the older Luke has this fantastic neck.
The older one is batch no. 915 and the new one no.916 (1999 model and 2010 model)

michaeld13

One looks to have a thicker rosewood(?) top... Not sure from the photo. Which do you reach for more often- your JP or LK? Looks like a rock' amp you have there.

alban.dunford

The light blue Luke is my go to guitar, but all three have a different sound.. depending on what i want to play.
The JP is an amazing guitar but the Luke has the balls.
Playing through a Peavey JSX into a marshal 4 x 12.
It has a super clean sound ... but the crunch a lead channel are insane

Top Bottom