• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rovis77

Hi everybody. Just a question. I have a Musicman luke in blue color and a Musicman john petrucci jp6 in mystic dream color. I use the Luke more than the Petrucci. I love the Luke!!! And my question is this: A guy from ebay has a Musicman Luke in black color and wants to swap it for my Petrucci. I like the musician luke in black color a lot. I know this sounds a bit dumb because I´ll end having two identical Musicman Luke´s, one in blue color and the other one black and I will lose the Petrucci, . Would you swap the Petrucci for the luke?

peterd79

really thats only a question you can answer...

my initial thoughts are unless the guy is local i wouldn't do any trades by way of eBay. too risky...

Norrin Radd

Well, the guy lives in my city. So there is no risk

There's ALWAYS risk. Meet somewhere public - like a guitar store so you check out each others gear BEFORE agreeing to the trade. Who knows - maybe his Luke has issues. If he refuses to meet - then you have your answer already.

As for "value", peter is correct - only YOU can answer that question.

Good luck! :)

rovis77

Actually he told me to meet him in person to check both guitars. He has good rating in ebay.

rovis77

Personally what would you prefer?. Two Musicman Luke´s with different colors or one Musicman Luke and one Petrucci. Would like to hear opinions :)

peterd79

i'd personally go with the guitar you're going to play more.

If you love the luke (which i love mine) id be keen to having two identical in feel. Perhaps swap the pickups for a different tone... or for different tuning if you're playing in a band where that's needed.

mikeller

I have multiple Luke 3's and really like them alot.

Let me ask you - are they both exactly same (aside from color)? (Luke I, II or III, HH or SSH etc)

Does that black have a rosewood neck or is it a roasted neck/rosewood fingerboard?

mikeller

OK - well, then it comes down to a matter of preference I'd say. If you enjoy the Luke(s) better and take comfort in a backup then that makes sense, in my opinion.

Purely from a monetary standpoint however, I believe the JP in mystic dream may have a higher re-seal value. Not 100% but I suspect.

Last edited:

KasperFauerby

I would keep one of each. Personally I don't get the point of having multiple identical guitars, unless of course you're a professional musician who is touring and need a couple of backups.

In my opinion color is completely irrelevant (besides of course always going for the one you like the best, when having a choice).

Tones, on the other hand, does matter! I try to have as many as possible available for recordings.

spychocyco

Personally, I'd probably keep the JP if the Lukes are exactly alike in everything but color, but I'm a bedroom player, so I don't need a duplicate guitar for live backup. Ultimately, like everyone else said, you're the only one who can make that decision. Do you need two guitars that are the same for some reason? Is there more value in the Luke than the JP for you? If you're not crazy about the JP and the Luke will get more playing time or give you more inspiration to play, then it may be worth it to you.

Razzle

No I wouldn't. Lukes don't go for near as much as Petruccis. If you wanna, cool, prob a diff of 400 or more. There are blacks, and then blacks (like Black Sugar). So if you wanna, go for it! The trade off is convenience and time to sell then buy.

KevTN

Which guitar fits you better? I had an L3 but It didn't fit what I needed so sold it and got a JP...It is what you need. Personally I would keep one of each...

agt

You have gotten a lot of thoughtful advice, but nobody has told you the hard truth: EBMMs are an addiction and you should keep both and get a third EBMM! ;)

And then a fourth, and a fifth, and ...

John C

No I wouldn't. Lukes don't go for near as much as Petruccis. If you wanna, cool, prob a diff of 400 or more. There are blacks, and then blacks (like Black Sugar). So if you wanna, go for it! The trade off is convenience and time to sell then buy.

Agreed - at current prices posted on the Music Man site a JP6 Mystic Dream is $500 more than Luke if it has the piezo bridge, and still $200 more than a Luke if it doesn't have the piezo.

If the OP isn't playing the JP and wants a Luke, he should either be getting some cash along with the Luke from the other party, or he should sell the JP and buy the Luke (pocketing the difference).

spychocyco

You have gotten a lot of thoughtful advice, but nobody has told you the hard truth: EBMMs are an addiction and you should keep both and get a third EBMM! ;)

And then a fourth, and a fifth, and ...

Truth. :)

Jason2112

I like to call these first-world problems....

Play the new Luke and see if it speaks to you. You've got nothing to lose in trying it out. Every guitar sounds/plays slightly different so maybe the new one is a better fit for you - or it's not.

I recently picked up two JPs (a 6 and a 7-string) after many years of avoiding them. They were deals that were screaming at me, I couldn't pass them up. Having spent some time with the JP6 and discovering what it excels at, I'm sold on JPs now. The point is, maybe you should also try to reconnect with your JP and see if you can gel with it. If not, then you're not doing it any favors by hanging on to it.

No, I'm not a marriage counselor.

ohbugger

If you feel like you've spent enough time with each to decide that the Luke models work better for you, then I'd consider the trade. Maybe a trade plus cash on the other side, as others have pointed out the potential difference in value.

I have multiple JP's because they work for me, and having that consistency no matter which guitar I pick up is nice. I keep most of mine in different tunings so it is that much more worthwhile to have more than one.

Jack FFR1846

If it was a Koa Luke or something really special, sure. I also greatly prefer the feel of a Luke over that of a Petrucci but going value to value, I wouldn't make a straight up trade here.

Top Bottom