• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Chaka5150

I have unsuccessfully combined two of my passions: guitar and wine. In a real derp moment I spilled a glass of wine which , like a spray pattern right out of C.S.I, splashed a bunch of spots on my Axis' maple neck. Its not horrible but enough to bug me everytime I see it. Any suggestions as to what I should be using to remove the stains?

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
I have unsuccessfully combined two of my passions: guitar and wine. In a real derp moment I spilled a glass of wine which , like a spray pattern right out of C.S.I, splashed a bunch of spots on my Axis' maple neck. Its not horrible but enough to bug me everytime I see it. Any suggestions as to what I should be using to remove the stains?

Hi, Chaka. First I have to give a little disclaimer: This is not the opinion of EBMM customer service, just my unprofessional opinion. In cases like this we always have to recommend customer service.

Here's the good news, aside from discoloration you're unlikely to have caused permanent damage or warp to your neck.

I've heard that soap and water may be able to get the stain out, depending on how much wine and how long it has soaked for. Always be sure to dry it off, of course. When dealing with wood and water, even with the finish we put on there, you always run some risk.

If that doesn't work, it is possible that NAPHTHA could get the stain out. This WILL strip the finish off of your neck, so I DO NOT recommend it.

Hope I could be at least a little helpful.

kestrou

The solution is obvious: Cover the rest of the neck in wine - you'll have an even color - claim it's a rare custom option.

Lemons into lemonade, buddy! :)

Kevin

jones4tone

The solution is obvious: Cover the rest of the neck in wine - you'll have an even color - claim it's a rare custom option.

Lemons into lemonade, buddy! :)

Kevin

Does he need to work the wine in with the Dremel tool?

jones4tone

You're going to tease us with this story and no picture?

Norrin Radd

You can try the method I used here.
http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/62627-cleaning-dark-stains-maple-neck.html

It's worked for others but I've not tried it to get wine or any other dye stains out. That said, no reason why it wouldn't work.

Try the methods recommended in the linked thread above. It worked for me (results on page 3). If that doesn't work (especially the bartenders stuff), then I wouldn't hesitate to contact CS and check out my options.

Good luck! :)

Chaka5150

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yes pics or it didnt' happen...I'll try to remember and upload a pic. I've had this guitar 15 years and kept in immaculate condition and now this lol. It's like a drunken night and you wake up with a tattoo you will always see when you look in the mirror and say, yep I was an idiot. Makes for good stories I suppose haha

Jason2112

When I restore maple necks, I go for the gusto - I use acetone. For many people it's a last resort when naphtha doesn't work (or if you live in a hyper-liberal state like California where naphtha is banned), but I use it with a tooth brush and it works well. Kimonostereo's method above is impressive, I've never thought to use Bar Keeper's Friend and I have some sitting under my kitchen sink.

In any case, I hesitate to recommend steel wool. Instead I recommend using Micro-Mesh paper or pads. I use this for everything from coarse dry sanding, wet finish sanding, and for all of my fret work. StewMac sells smaller pads for a decent price:
Micro-Mesh Soft Touch Pads | stewmac.com
Someone on Amazon is selling this same set as well.

kimonostereo

I typically try not to use acetone and other stronger chems on the neck because of it's ability to loosen cyanoacrylate (super glue) and the possibility of it getting on the finish of the guitar. I don't know what EBMM uses to hold the frets in, but I would guess it's some form of cyanocrylate.

Had no idea that naphtha was banned in CA. That's stupid.

Jason2112

I typically try not to use acetone and other stronger chems on the neck because of it's ability to loosen cyanoacrylate (super glue) and the possibility of it getting on the finish of the guitar. I don't know what EBMM uses to hold the frets in, but I would guess it's some form of cyanocrylate.

Had no idea that naphtha was banned in CA. That's stupid.

So far I haven't had any issues with frets or the glue between the neck and fretboard, but I guess I'm kinda extreme like that.

Tru Oil is banned too. I have to get all the good stuff shipped incognito.

kimonostereo

I thought I had it bad in Hawaii. I guess we just suffer with being an island and shipping, but we still can get chemicals :)

Jason2112

StewMac still ships Naphtha to us here at SBMM. I just got a shipment of it. One thing I do, just in case it ends, is I always order 6 of them.

That's where I get mine from too.

OP- sorry for highjacking your thread... :D

You could just stain the rest of it in wine. Bob Benedetto uses red wine to stain some of his archtops. Or you can order wood bleach from woodcraft or rockler. I had a similar problem staining a maple neck. Too much got sucked up in the end grain. Looked blochy. I tried regular bleach. Worked well with some light sanding after multiple applications.

Top Bottom