• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

billpepper82

they are getting pretty grungy how do I go about cleaning them, what do you guys do?
Ive heard everything from wd40 to clr to oxi-clean to lighter fluid or even vinager
What is the best method?
Should I just replace them?
Whats everyone think of Roller bridge saddles?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
1) Hot soapy water and a good stiff brush. If that does nothing...
2) Oil soak followed by 1) again. If that doesn't work...
3) Steel wool (0000) (Steel Wool sheds particles like crazy sodon't do this anywhere near your pickups. Work on sheets of newspaper for easy clean up). If that doesn't work...
4) Worst case scenario, 1200 grit wet and dry paper (use wet, soak the paper in water with a little dish soap, change and/or rinse the paper regularly, work as lightly as you need can and still be effective). Finish with 0000 steel wool. They won't look as they do when new, they'll have a different burnish or sheen, but they'll be clean as can be.

N.B. - Not advised on piezo saddles!

Last edited:

kimonostereo

If the saddles are pitted, you may just want to replace them vs spend time to clean them up. If they are rusting, you should do what you can to get rid of the rust and then coat the part in some oil. WD40 and 3-in-one oil work.

I've noticed that certain EBMM chrome plated hardware tend to tarnish quickly in the area I live in. It doesn't rust, but it gets cloudy and tarnished. The bent saddles, strap knobs and jack plate on the Axis tend to go first. I've never had issues with the tuners, neck plates or bridge plates. The chrome on these seems mostly tarnish resistant.

I recall BP saying something about how CA laws make it hard to do good plating. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I think it's more to do with body chemistry (oils and sweat from your fingers and hands). My Silhouette Special is 12 years old and the plating is as good as can be everywhere except the saddles. My guitar gets a lot of use and I've filed and sanded the top of the saddles a few times (which are not chrome plated, BTW).

kimonostereo

I thought it was body chemistry too, however after dealing with this for years, I can say it's not because none of my other guitars have this issue. I'm not sure why it happens but it only happens when the guitar is stored in the case not if I leave the guitar out on a guitar stand. It's always the same pieces that tarnish for me and I'm super careful to wipe them down after playing. My only guess is the island heat and being trapped in the case causes the playing to get tarnished?

The part I found odd is that the tuners nor the bridge plate get tarnished. Only the saddles, jack plate and the strap knobs.

Top Bottom