• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
I would like another ASS. I have an all rosewood model SS and I would like to find a trans red flame top with an all rosewood neck. Forgive me for being naive. This is my first post and don't quit understand where this post should go.

I saw one for sale in France at California Music. Does anyone know if these were special runs from EBMM? Do they do "silent one-offs" for specific dealers?

Check out the pics. This thing is tits. Electric Guitars Musicman Axis Super Sport HH Manche Pallissandre Translucent Red RW - Axis Super Sport HH Manche Pallissandre Electric Guitars Solid Body Musicman 2690 €

Thanks in advance

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum!

EBMM did short runs of all-rosewood necks in the past, and yes sometimes specific dealers or distributors order their own limited edition run. If you are looking specifically for trans red flame and all rosewood neck, you may be waiting a long time before you find one for sale.

steevo

Welcome to the forum!

EBMM did short runs of all-rosewood necks in the past, and yes sometimes specific dealers or distributors order their own limited edition run. If you are looking specifically for trans red flame and all rosewood neck, you may be waiting a long time before you find one for sale.

Is rosewood an endangered species now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most manufacturers use Indian or african rosewood" nowadays. Brazilian is another story with the whole VAT and CITIES treaty tax. In order to use brazilian, it apparently had to be cut and harvested before the CiTIES ban or from trees that fell down "naturally" There are horror stories out there of TSA agents seizing musical instruments containing brazilian rosewood for the owners not having proper documentation. Now, most of them have no idea what to look for, but there are always ones out there looking to break b@lls.

fbecir

Hello

If you want to buy the guitar you saw, California Music has a good reputation (the owner is a nice guy). Besides, if you buy from the US, it's normally possible to remove the VAT (20 % in France).

That particular one was already sold unfortunately. I wouldn't buy one from outside the states although I do travel to Italy yearly and wouldn't mind traveling back with one. But, prices tend to be higher there due to the import and the euro slowly gaining momentum again.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hello

If you want to buy the guitar you saw, California Music has a good reputation (the owner is a nice guy). Besides, if you buy from the US, it's normally possible to remove the VAT (20 % in France).

Not in my experience. 20% VAT + 4% import duty on the total on the guitar value + shipping cost. Don't assume you'll get away with anything.

In principle all rosewood now needs documentation if being exported (i.e. sold across borders). Seller's responsibility IIRC. I don't know much else about how it's working in practice but I imagine the documents a seller may need from a guitar maker is stuff they've have been doing for years anyway. (You can still travel and carry your guitars, no problem BTW).

fbecir

Not in my experience. 20% VAT + 4% import duty on the total on the guitar value + shipping cost. Don't assume you'll get away with anything.

If the buyer lives outside EU, there is no TVA :
TVA a l'exportation

L'article 262-I du CGI exonère de TVA les livraisons de biens expédiés ou transportés par le vendeur (expéditeur réel au sens de la réglementation douanière) ou pour son compte en dehors de l'Union européenne ainsi que les prestations de service directement liées à l'exportation.

But OK, it's a bit crazy to buy an EBMM guitar in France if you lives in the US where the prices are much cheaper. But if you are looking for a specific guitar, it's understandable.

Took a few years but I found one. 2003 or so. Not a rosewood neck but It's pretty slick. I'm happy.

Attachments

• DSC_0604.jpg
    DSC_0604.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 112

GWDavis28

Wow, very nice indeed, don't see too many these days!!!

Congrats, Glenn |B)

nervous

Curious, how are these tonally compared to a standard ASS? Similar, darker, brighter? Love my flame top ASS now but see a rosewood I am eye balling...

Originally I felt the all rosewood was darker not acoustically but when plugged in. The hard tail-thru body adds something. Hard to describe. I didn't vibe with the AXIS pickups in the Rosewood model. I hated them. I know it's hard for some to accept. Initially I thought the rosewood contributed to making it sound dark, but I guess it's the nature of those pickups (primarily the neck pup) I threw in a set of Thornbuckers and never looked back. I like to "hear" a guitar if that makes sense. If you have a nice transparent clean tone where you can "hear" the guitar, then you 85% there. I feel low output pickups allow for that.

The trem AXIS is another animal. Not better/not worse. I think tonally the tremolo makes it bright but nothing extreme. The Music man trem block has some weight to it. I do however find that the strings feel looser on the tremolo version. Not a bad thing necessarily. I enjoy "shaking the chords". I'm glad to have both. I think they'll serve a purpose in my tool box. I wrote a post yesterday about modding the axis neck pickup. Search for I rescued my DiMarzio AXIS neck pickup. I'm still experimenting with it trying to give those pups a chance.

Awhitlock

I'm super curious about the all rosewood SS. I've seen a few, but the tops are a bit unappealing for me. However, the necks look gorgeous. I've read a lot of great feedback on here about the rosewood necks.

Great to see you've found your guitar after waiting all this time! Patience pays !

Top Bottom