• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sharp155

So I've had my Majesty guitar for about 3-4 months and noticed the chrome on the bridge is smearing off. I assume this is normal BUT should this be happening so soon? I don't believe I play enough for this wear to happen this early. I don't sweat either while playing. IMG_2335.jpg

tonechaser1

This is an old issue and is very normal for Majesty's with the smoked chrome finish. You can search it for more feedback.

Contact Musicman customer service. If your Majesty is still under warranty (1 year) you can either send it back to have the hardware replaced or have them send you the replacement parts, for which you can install if you ever plan to sell it. This is what I ended up doing after I had my bridge plate and whammy bar originally replaced and it wore off again.

ohbugger

You're not alone, and I can only assume this is a result of regulations that metal platers now have to adhere to (especially where these fine instruments are made, in CA). The safer the coating is for the environment, the less durable they tend to be, unfortunately.

These newer generations of coatings are getting better all the time, but the fact remains that there are many already out there that this will happen to.

Just another way for your guitar to develop character, right? :)

Guitaryojedi

Yes, it's a known issue. My case, Artisan Majesty Gold Hardware Gold Plating comes off so easily.
But even JP's Arctic Dream Majesty suffers the same problem.
I made 30 sec clip here. (From Young Guitar Magazine May 2017)

Also, I attached my Artisan Majesty's bridge pic. Seems pretty bad...

goldprob1.jpg

Last edited:

Sharp155

This is an old issue and is very normal for Majesty's with the smoked chrome finish. You can search it for more feedback.

Contact Musicman customer service. If your Majesty is still under warranty (1 year) you can either send it back to have the hardware replaced or have them send you the replacement parts, for which you can install if you ever plan to sell it. This is what I ended up doing after I had my bridge plate and whammy bar originally replaced and it wore off again.

If I were to send it back wouldn't they just replace it with the same part? Meaning it's going to rub off again anyways? Or is there some new chrome plate that they use?

Guitaryojedi

In my case, they sent me a replacement bridge cover. Then I changed it to new one by myself.
After week of brief use, it wears off again. Rep told me that there will be no more replacement...
($75 will be charged if I want a new bridge cover)

So if I were you, Once you get replacement cover, Keep it as new.
Then install it only when you decide to sell your guitar.

Last edited:

JamieCrain

Three hours of playing is all it took on my Majesty. I got a new cover from CS, which I'll keep as backup. The pot knobs have same issue. It's a shame the plating is such poor quality, but it's probably the only fault on this guitar.

agt

I totally get the metal plating regulation issue. EBMM has to abide and I understand.

I have experienced this fading issue with my Artisan Majesty Marrone (gold hardware). EBMM Customer Service was kind enough to send me a gold replacement for the bridge saddle cover and knobs (thanks!). I am not saving it for resale because I will NEVER, EVER, sell that guitar.

My Goldmine Majesty (chrome hardware) has not had this issue, and I play that one much more frequently. I will NEVER sell this one either.

When I inquired about the gold hardware on the Artisan, I asked if I could get a chrome replacement. I know that the chrome hardware finish does not fade. I was told by Ernie Ball Customer Service that this was not possible and that the replacement hardware had to be the same color as what was originally on the guitar. I wish EBMM would rethink this policy. I would be happy to send in my proprietary gold hardware (bridge) in exchange for the equivalent, but in chrome. Heck, I would gladly PAY to exchange my gold bridge hardware for chrome.

I own two Majesties and I am thinking of buying a third in Polar Noir. No offense to anyone, but I cannot go with the new stealth black hardware look (on Polar Noir, it is like wearing a black suit with a black shirt and black tie), so my only option is one of the few remaining Polar Noirs out there in dealer stock with the smokey black chrome hardware. But, I know that they too will be affected by this eventually. If EBMM would allow me to exchange the smokey black chrome hardware with equivalent chrome hardware, I would buy one immediately.

Guitaryojedi

I know that the chrome hardware finish does not fade.

Yeah, I believe so, too.
I have many Musicman JP guitars with chrome hardware and none of them had those problems.
Interesting thing is, my Majesty Siberian Sapphire with Black Chrome Hardware NEVER had that problem, too.
Only Artisan Majesty Viola with Gold Hardware suffers it badly...

Anyway, that's why I will get Monarchy Majesty Imperial Blue with "Chrome" hardware.(coming this Thursday!)
So, I don't need to worry about it.

JamieCrain

Given the plating issue is a known problem, you have to wonder why they have persisted with it? I got my majesty early days so call it a teething issue with the product, but if they are still selling new guitars three years on with the same issue then that seems unreasonable, no matter how good the rest of the guitar is.

Sharp155

Given the plating issue is a known problem, you have to wonder why they have persisted with it? I got my majesty early days so call it a teething issue with the product, but if they are still selling new guitars three years on with the same issue then that seems unreasonable, no matter how good the rest of the guitar is.

I know what you mean. Sucks having a $2600 guitar while looking like it's cheaply made.

johnnyboogie

I owned an original Majesty and had the same phenomenon within 3 days; and I ritually clean the bridge and pickups with a polish cloth from any hand residue and sweat.

I understand the policy that prevents fake guitars from being made (not selling MusicMan bridges), but why not be able, at the least, to get a replacement in chrome or black? Even if you have to pay for it.

CipherHost

Is there a safe way to remove all the smoke off the chrome? I think it would look better all chrome than the way it looks now.

32.jpg

fabriarockz

Chrome hardware is by far the most durable and it look nice too imo...

Chrome hardware for life!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

agt

Cool. Thanks. I think I will try to remove the bridge and remove all the smoke for an even look. Cheers!

I did not actually try to do this yet. I want to buy a Polar Noir Majesty and, if I do - and assuming the hardware fades - I may try this.

However, I think the Majesty funds I have been saving will be going towards a Valentine as I wait another year to see if EBMM will offer all chrome hardware on a Polar Noir (or other color with basswood wings).

CipherHost

So here are the before and after pictures after removing the "smoke" from just the cover.

IMG_20170504_222051418.jpg

IMG_20170518_174112526.jpg

What do you think?

Top Bottom