• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Magic Jason

Surfing on the MM Facebook groups or on this forum, I can't help noticing that many MM players tend to own several MM.

And I'm not talking of owning different models, which is understandable : many of us own several identical MM : JP's or Morse's or Luke's or AL's... You name it.

Back in time when I owned Fenders, Gibsons, Parkers, Andersons, ... I never felt the desire to have 3,4,5 times the same guitar model.

Yet, I really couldn't swear I'll never add another AL. Or two.

Why is that so common among MM owners?

Last edited:

agt

The desire to become awesomely freaky (see my sig) is strong!

In my case, I have duplicates strung with different string gauges (e.g. a Silo Special with 10s and one with 11s) or small variations in wood/construction (e.g. Luke II regular and Luke II BFR, original Majesty and Majesty Artisan).

xjbebop

It's like "a Jeep thing" ...most folks just wouldn't understand.
Good point for a thread... good thing I don't have that problem.

...oh...wait.... ;)

Pott

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not due to the company we keep vs. your average guitar player NOT on forums/FB groups.
Normalizing for ALL MusicMan owners, I think we'd be to the top of the curve :p

MikeVt

For me, part of it is that EBMM keeps tweaking, making them better and adding cool colors, and I want them....but I still like the ones I have and can't bear to part with them. Like I've said before (and without trying to make it sexist), women have shoes....we have EBMMs.

Mike

Lax

Only MM JP guitars makes me feel like the guitar is playing by itself and sound great, only them

beej

I've been hooked since my first Morse. And frankly, I've never really been pulled in any other direction no matter how many nice guitars from other manufacturers I play. Not even a conscious choice ... I've just been really, really happy with the instruments and the way the company has treated me.

Jamie M

It is an illness that the medical world will eventually recognise but until then we will continue to be ill and keep buying more balls!

KasperFauerby

Personally I've never understood the need or want for multiple guitars that are exactly the same. But my brand loyalty is extremely high. Earlier this year I almost went for another brand, but in the end picked the Cutlass after all. A decision I've not regretted in the slightest btw!

But I don't like the thought of needlessly collecting something, just to own it.

If I buy a guitar it's to play it.. that's the sole reason.

In fact, even with "just" (well, actually it's very much "just" around here :) ) 4 EBMM guitars I've discovered that I start to enjoy each individual one a bit less that in the past where my economy forced me to get by with just one or two instruments.

I play 2-3 hours each day, and only if I consistently put that kind of time into a single guitar, day after day, do I really start to bond with it and start to know it intimately. With just 4-5 guitars in the house I've discovered that some ends up with very little play time. Almost makes me feel a bit guilty ;)

alf cockle

I concur..still use my 1st EBMM geetar..2001 silsp..bought new..modified with graphtec saddles and nut...it*s absolutely perfect for me..so it gets played a ton..the rest seldom....no,wait..the mm90 sport,too....wait..the hbhb sport,hang on...the piezo ss,,,oh,then maybe...etc,etc

Razzle

Hello, my name is Johnnie and I have an addiction...

Last edited:

spychocyco

From the first time I played an Axis back in the early '00s, I knew that I had to have one eventually. Since I got my first one back in '07, I've had trouble finding non-EBMM guitars that I like or want. In '08, I bought a near-mint Fender HM Strat, which was my dream guitar as a teenager, and while I won't let it go for that reason, it only makes it out of the case a couple of times a year. Last year, I bought a Les Paul, just because I thought I should own one. It hasn't been out of the case in 6-8 months. Every time I get a new guitar, I end up going back to my Axis and wondering why I bothered to buy the new one. The Axis and the new ASS get pretty equal playing time, but nothing else even comes close (though my recently purchased JP70 has stolen a little more time than I expected it to.) Like some of the other posters, I don't see a lot of point in having several identical guitars if you're not a touring musician who needs backups, but I do see the point in owning a lot of different EBMMs. :)

jzeijen

Like life, owning EBMM guitars is like a box of chocolates. I'm always curious what the next one is gonna be like. And dammit, they all taste so good.. no point in resisting

JasonT

For me, it was and is the LIII HH. That guitar changed everything for me. It had the feel and tone I had been looking for. I have several now, each with a different wood combination. Now that I've found the guitar platform that works for me, one is not enough. I'm only interested in that guitar and its variations. Since the LIII HH came out, I haven't bought a guitar that isn't an LIII HH, and I'm ok with that. :)

Barny

They are all amazing versatile instruments and as us determined owners know , once you have sampled one, you cannot stop whether that be different models or "I want one with a Rosewood Board as well as maple"

If I had the money I would have an AL, Valentine, Armada, St Vincent, Cutlass, Silo, Axis semi without a doubt!

Top Bottom