• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spychocyco

I'm planning to give a little TLC to my No. 1 Axis, do some things that are overdue and some things that it just deserves after 10 years of service. One of the things on the list is to try to buff out the pick swirls in the finish below the strings. Apparently I beat that spot up when I play. I've used polish on it, but that really doesn't do anything to remove the scratches, so I'm wondering if anyone has any techniques they can share that are safe and will shine it back up again.

It's not that big a deal as they're hard to notice except in the right light, but if I'm doing the job, I figure I should do it right. :)

Etudica

Assuming a 10 yr old Axis has the same urethane based clear as recent models, I've had good luck with some high end automotive polishes on my JPs. I have used both Pinnacle and Menzerna polishes by hand with great success. Just make sure to use the appropriate foam pad for polishing. You don't want to cut any more than you need to, just like on a car finish.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Assuming a 10 yr old Axis has the same urethane based clear as recent models, I've had good luck with some high end automotive polishes on my JPs. I have used both Pinnacle and Menzerna polishes by hand with great success. Just make sure to use the appropriate foam pad for polishing. You don't want to cut any more than you need to, just like on a car finish.

there are a lot of good automotive paint products that work well. I've had luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Etudica

there are a lot of good automotive paint products that work well. I've had luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

Good point, I could see ultimate compound working well also. It's very mild when used with microfiber or polish pad, nothing like other products that contain the word "compound". I would not recommend any straight rubbing compound unless you really know what you're doing. I simply listed products I've tried personally, since I always have those on hand for show cars.

agt

+1 for the Meguiar's Ultimate.

I purchased a used JP 6 BFR several years ago with a lot of swirls and small scratches and, with a few hours of gentle polishing, was able to buff it into shiny, like-new condition.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Good point, I could see ultimate compound working well also. It's very mild when used with microfiber or polish pad, nothing like other products that contain the word "compound". I would not recommend any straight rubbing compound unless you really know what you're doing. I simply listed products I've tried personally, since I always have those on hand for show cars.
I've used it when restoring a weird one-off EVH I've had along with Taylor guitar polish, and when working on the french polish on my classical in order to buff out some shellac that had pooled up. It can be a little rough, but its not too aggressive.

gregmusi

I've used it when restoring a weird one-off EVH I've had along with Taylor guitar polish, and when working on the french polish on my classical in order to buff out some shellac that had pooled up. It can be a little rough, but its not too aggressive.

one-off EVH? pictures or it didn't happen... you know the rules

spychocyco

Thanks for the suggestions. A little nervous about using anything even a little abrasive on my finish, but I may give them a try.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions. A little nervous about using anything even a little abrasive on my finish, but I may give them a try.

When in doubt always go for something labeled for guitar use first. Wonder wipes, taylor guitar polish, even d'******o.

If that doesn't cut the mustard try stepping up to some of the automotive stuff.

Top Bottom