• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Oyster38

Why nothing new in 4 or 5 years for the Game Changer?
Why no 5 string bass?
Why no new colors?
Stainless Steal Frets?

Is it a good idea to keep these guitars? with the website and software support go away one day?

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Why nothing new in 4 or 5 years for the Game Changer?
Why no 5 string bass?
Why no new colors?
Stainless Steal Frets?

Is it a good idea to keep these guitars? with the website and software support go away one day?

The Game Changer is still being supported, and will still be part of our lineup going forward. I'm sure as you know its a niche, high-minded instrument, and has yet to catch on to huge mass appeal. Not only because its the vehicle for some very technical concepts, but its also expensive.

We only have so many resources to work with at the MM factory, and we can be pulled in new directions at any moment like with the STV and Valentine models, or if JP gets a wild hair and wants something new.

We keep working on it and tinkering behind the scenes, like I always say, stay tuned for more.

jones4tone

The Game Changer is still being supported, and will still be part of our lineup going forward.

That's good to hear!

I had listed mine for sale at one time, as I just didn't bond with it quickly after picking it up in a trade earlier this year. I took it out of the case again more recently, and I've really enjoyed playing it now. It's a bit on the heavy side for me, so I don't want to play a long gig with it over my neck or anything, but I like it a lot when I'm sitting in my studio. So, I'm now glad that the transaction where I was going to move it fell apart. :D

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
That's good to hear!

I had listed mine for sale at one time, as I just didn't bond with it quickly after picking it up in a trade earlier this year. I took it out of the case again more recently, and I've really enjoyed playing it now. It's a bit on the heavy side for me, so I don't want to play a long gig with it over my neck or anything, but I like it a lot when I'm sitting in my studio. So, I'm now glad that the transaction where I was going to move it fell apart. :D
That's fair, I think it was always geared towards being a studio tool more than anything.

jones4tone

That's fair, I think it was always geared towards being a studio tool more than anything.

I should add, I've only owned EBMM electrics. I'm sure there's someone out there who's gigged with a classic LP over their shoulder saying, "HEAVY?!?" The Game Changer is heavy relative to my LIII or Axis.

Oyster38

The Game Changer is still being supported, and will still be part of our lineup going forward. I'm sure as you know its a niche, high-minded instrument, and has yet to catch on to huge mass appeal. Not only because its the vehicle for some very technical concepts, but its also expensive.

We only have so many resources to work with at the MM factory, and we can be pulled in new directions at any moment like with the STV and Valentine models, or if JP gets a wild hair and wants something new.

We keep working on it and tinkering behind the scenes, like I always say, stay tuned for more.

Thanks for the response.

I for one wish for three things, 1&11/16" nut width, Stainless frets, and better splitting pickups (Maybe even 5 single coils like the PRS 509. I have HSHP and find the single coil sounds lacking.

Wahoonc

Thanks for the response.

I for one wish for three things, 1&11/16" nut width, Stainless frets, and better splitting pickups (Maybe even 5 single coils like the PRS 509. I have HSHP and find the single coil sounds lacking.

Lacking compared to what? Also, if you have a HSHP, then you five single coils. I find your posts lacking.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Lacking compared to what? Also, if you have a HSHP, then you five single coils. I find your posts lacking.

He can voice his opinion, we can all play nice here. He may not like the GC's single coil and that's ok. Personally I would love a SSS GC or something crazy like a H MM90 S P GC.

Wahoonc

He can voice his opinion, we can all play nice here. He may not like the GC's single coil and that's ok. Personally I would love a SSS GC or something crazy like a H MM90 S P GC.

Haha, I'm not upset. Just really didn't get the post. The PRS he mentioned is literally the exact same pickup configuration. Just seemed like he wanted to float general empty complaints.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Haha, I'm not upset. Just really didn't get the post. The PRS he mentioned is literally the exact same pickup configuration. Just seemed like he wanted to float general empty complaints.

I got you. Just wanted to make sure it didn't escalate.

Or a Steve Morse GC while we're at it :eek:

Now THAT'S a no-brainer. What about: Morse style pups in a AL body with a GC system.

JayDawg

I've had two of them and love them. The first one I sold to pay off some medical bills after Rochelle had some more medical issues after her breast cancer. I got another one this past November and was beyond stoked to have one again but then EBMM released the 30th Anniversary Stingray 5 right before my 45 day money back guarantee expired at Guitar Center. I had to have that bass so as much as I didn't want to, I returned my second Game Changer guitar so my 30th Anniversary SR5 could get ordered. I guess third time will be a charm. I am hoping to order another one within the next year or so but there is also a few more EBMM basses that I still want to get first.

Wahoonc

I should add, I've only owned EBMM electrics. I'm sure there's someone out there who's gigged with a classic LP over their shoulder saying, "HEAVY?!?" The Game Changer is heavy relative to my LIII or Axis.

Exactly. I have two ASS semis--one a hardtail MM90, which is super light. I love the ergonomics of the GC better than the ASS, but the MM90 semi is so light that I grab it 75% of the time. (Plus I love the MM90 pickups.) That said, and to reiterate your point, that is comparing the GC to another MM guitar. It's still easily lighter than a strat or a LP, even with the trem on an HSH configuration. So, yeah, throw a GC over the shoulder of a LP guy and set Bank A to a classic dual humbucker configuration (with a couple of sweetened tones thrown in just for fun) and I bet that player will be extremely happy.

Wahoonc

I got you. Just wanted to make sure it didn't escalate.

No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
No worries, Casey. I'm not that guy.

Also, how about a MM90/Minibucker/MM90/Piezo? That would be sweet. I have no intentions of buying another guitar anytime soon, but I would buy a GC in that configuration in a second.

Me too!

Oyster38

Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.

Wahoonc

Since my explanation was "lacking", I will explain.

I find that combining 2 single coils pickups do a better job at sounding like Fender Strat' single coil ish and Gibson Les Paul humbucker ish tones than splitting two coils of a humbucker does. I have many higher end guitars that try to do the humbucker coil split thing. Recently I found that the PRS 513 to be a better approach. I assume that the EBMM Game changer switching hardware would work as well at combining a single coils designs as it does at combining a humbucker design (I am referring to bar magnet vs slug magnets and respective windings).

I think combined single coil pickups sound better as humbuckers than humbuckers sound split into single coils.

I hope my explanation is not lacking anything.

I do find your explanation lacking. It sounds like you're saying single coils sound better as single coils and humbuckers? As a starting proposition, humbuckers were designed to eliminate the noise of a single coil and are by nature higher gain and warmer sounding. Maybe I just don't understand as deeply as you do, but there's a missing link in your suggestion that transmutes single coils into humbuckers that sound better than actual humbuckers and still sound better as single coils than a split humbucker that is a humbucker. I'm happy to be educated, but as far as I understand the physical design of a single coil and humbucker make what you're saying a unicorn. The idea of split humbucker pickups is to allow single coil sounds that can get very close but can't exactly replicate that sound. Just like it is the goal of some single coil designs to approximate humbucker sounds, but again can't quite get there--think P90 or your suggested PRS. Doesn't mean that it sounds good or bad (I love P90 style pickups) but literally that a humbucker is not the same thing as a single coil and a single coil or several is not a humbucker.

It's fine that you prefer a different guitar, but it doesn't mean anything is lacking on the GC. Any more than a LP is lacking to a guy who prefers a strat-like single coil sound or vice versa. If you prefer a single coil sound that approximates a humbucker over a humbucker that approximates single coils, cool. It simply means you prefer something else. That's the reason we all play and have different guitars. Well, one of the reasons. But why come here to suggest Music Man needs to redesign easily the most flexible guitar ever made because you prefer, what? 13 tones on a single coil based guitar. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

The GC has millions of possibe tones. A guitar can't be perfect at every single thing, but the GC is about as close at it gets in one guitar to being everything. My opinion. If you prefer another guitar, get the other guitar.

dwheelr

I look forward to more GC development for sure - I think the system is spectacular, and I'd like it on everything.

I actually had my guitar modded with stainless steel frets, and SD P-rails pickups neck and bridge, with a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 42 in the middle. Sweet jeebus, those upgrades made an already magical guitar even magicaller. It's not perfect at every single thing, but it's perfect at every single thing I want.

I couldn't help but notice that there's a spot on the circuit board for a sixth pickup. How would one go about making that work, I wonder? Would the app detect the sixth coil to allow configuration? Just think of the possibilities.

Top Bottom