• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edwillys

Hello,

I would like to address a few topics that come to mind after I bought my GC.

The banks and switch positions are most likely stored digitally in a flash memory. Though flash memories are of common use, one can sometimes forget some of its problems on the long run. For example, data is normally retained up to 10 years if not refreshed and there is a limited number of writing cycles. There are ways to optimize these such as memory page management and refreshing the stored data. Are these foreseen by the Game Changer? Or will it be necessary t replace the circuitry after some years of use?

Secondly, the pickup wiring is probably done with the help of analog switching circuitry, i.e., MOSFETs. I wonder if you could share some technical information on the part used for that or at least shed some light on the added resistance, capacitance and bandwidth, so that we have a better idea on how it affects the sound. I would really like to see a block diagram of the circuit, with the switching blocks, buffers, controller, etc.

Lastly, as already mentioned in other posts, I also have some concerns about the long time support of the Game Changer. As for the HW I can expect we'll continue to get support from MusicMan. As for the SW, currently not only one depends entirely on Musicman but on the game changer web app which, as I understand, has not been updated for a while. As I am not an iphone user I don't have the possibility to use the app. Ideally, it would be good to have a platform independent application that allows GC users to access and operate their guitars from the computer, without the need of internet connection. If it is open source it could even be maintained by the community. Maybe at least a simple API that allows for the USB communication: rewiring, bank switch, sync and save. I also think it is important to allow the user to save his/her presets locally instead of only via login.

Thanks in advance,

Edgar

edwillys

Hello,

I wonder if anyone else has the same concerns as stated in my previous post.

It would be nice to receive some feedback from MusicMan. @MrGameChanger?

Best,
Edgar

Wahoonc

I am not concerned about continued support. All that I have experienced with Music Man over several years indicates they are about as good as it gets when it comes to taking care of their customer.

I also have no need for them to reveal to me the specifics of how the Game Changer works. Seems to me that is completely proprietary and a little beyond the scope of information they ought to provide.

In terms of longevity, that might be a good point if the system wasn't designed to work as long as the materials in the guitar continued to comprise a guitar. I would be surprised if this were not the case, but I'll defer to Drew or someone else at MM on that issue.

In short, I'm not concerned and love the guitar. Opinions differ, of course.

drewbixcubed

Hi Edgar,

Seems like you have put some deep thought into the longevity of your instrument! The good new is, we did too! We have been tremendously cautious over the years not to immediately outdate our instruments with tech that could be considered a "fad" or prematurely obsolete. The Game Changer is no exception. The memory lifespan was something we looked into, and can assure that with standard use, I see no issue with these guitar electronics lasting decades.

With regards to the tech, most of the information is proprietary, but I can tell you that the entire signal path of the TGC for both guitar and bass has been engineered to produce both active and passive outputs at their full potential. Meaning, we have not limited, loaded down, or degraded signal headroom, pickups, or integrity, respectively, when compared to other instruments in our, or other manufacturer's instruments. This was the initial and most vital goal that was achieved, and in some instances exceeded in the project.

We understand your concerns about the long time support of TGC. However as Casey mentioned in another post, we only have so many resources at our disposal to constantly improve and produce our products, but needless to say, we always have our minds on it!

Thanks for posting~

edwillys

Hello drewbixcubed,

Thanks for the answer. I understand that the Game Changer technology is proprietary. However, I believe sharing some of the technical details (such as a high level block diagram) could clarify some of the questions I had above and some other GC users might share.

You mentioned that under "standard use" the electronics will last "decades". Could you please write a few words on what you consider the standard use and how many decades it is meant to last?

Finally, concerning the last point I addressed: is there any plan to provide the web app as a standalone app for PC/Linux/Android? Or even providing an API to allow 3rd party SWs to configure the GC?

Thanks again.

Top Bottom