• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
I recently bought a brand new starry night axis. guitar is beautiful, feels great, sounds great, but the action is a mile high. the Floyd is as low as she can possibly go and the truss rod is adjusted perfectly. any help would be fantastic!

Pott

My Starry Night Albert Lee's nut was WAY too high, and I sent it back to the factory.
Check what's up with yours:
* Nut height (fret 3rd fret, and press down between 1st and 3rd: there should be a tiny clearance only)
* Neck relief (fret 1st and 18th fret, measure clearance towards the middle; you said the neck was adjusted perfectly already so may not be that)
* Neck pocket/angle (may have been shimmed wrong for whatever reason? Or you may want to shim it if nothing else works)

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum!

Floyd saddles don't have height adjustment, and on this particular guitar the bridge is intended to sit flat on the top of the guitar. So the appropriate way to adjust the action is to shim the neck pocket (or shim the saddles).

Get in touch with Music Man customer service (see links in my signature).

Welcome to the forum!

Floyd saddles don't have height adjustment, and on this particular guitar the bridge is intended to sit flat on the top of the guitar. So the appropriate way to adjust the action is to shim the neck pocket (or shim the saddles).

Get in touch with Music Man customer service (see links in my signature).

I shimmed the neck last night and that pretty much fixed the problem. I had a feeling that's what I needed to do but wasn't sure if it would mess with the guitar. Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom