• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

phillybri

I want desperately to try a Luke III, but nobody around here carries them. I saw a video of Steve repping the LK100D and am thinking of jumping.

It seems like it's pretty close to being the exact same guitar, right down to the Transition pickups and push-push boost.

Thoughts?

SBMM

It's a fantastic guitar, one of the best that we make. The perfect 'gateway drug' into the real deal EBMM.

Here's a few of the differences:

LK100D has a Basswood body
LK100D has a regular Maple neck
LK100D has nickel/silver frets
LK100D has a fixed 12dB boost push-push circuit (designed for us by Dudley)

We do use the DiMarzio "Transitions" pickups in LK100D

All in all, it really is an amazing guitar, but, I'll be the first to admit freely, nothing beats the real deal, Made in U.S.A. EBMM instrument!

I hope that this helps.

SBMM

IIRC, Pete at DuBaldo Music in Connecticut has both the Luke Blue and Black Metallic LK100D in stock if you are serious about wanting to pick one up. Pete's a great guy, and DuBaldo Music is a top notch SBMM Dealer.

phillybri

When you say a "fixed" 12dB boost push-push circuit, what do you mean?

peterd79

I'll jump in...

I'm the owner of several EBMM guitars and a fan of the Luke series... always one of the most inspiring guitars I've ever played.

I had a telecaster that was stolen when a friend borrowed it and as a "replacement" he could only afford something sub $1000. As a result I found the LK100D and said that would work.

Knowing my love for the EBMM Luke I wasn't hoping it would satisfy the itch. Not only has it satisfied the itch its brought me to realize the value and quality that is SBMM and have started buying them more regularly.

The LK100D is a fixed 12db boost that as stated is non-adjustable and very usable on all pickup positions. The musicality of the transition pickups are incredible - feels very much like an EBMM Luke.

There are no doubts about it that it is an import - doesn't mean it's "cheap" as it's a rock solid instrument that I used almost exclusively for a year. Still use it but with my other SBMM guitars this one has gotten a break - but bringing 'er back out this weekend and use her all the time at home.

this is as Brian stated a gateway guitar... if you can't afford the LIII you certainly won't be short selling yourself with the LK100D it's probably one of the best guitars in their line up... I've got the valentine and thats just on a whole new level for SBMM but think the LK100D is just superb.

I second the support of Pete DuBaldo I've purchased through them several times and they are just above and beyond the best. Let 'em know you're from the forum and they'll take real good care of ya.

PeteDuBaldo

Thanks for the plug guys!

I wish I could help out on this but at the moment I don't have any Luke models in stock - we just got a large shipment from SBMM and have the following ready to go - several CT50 in the following colors Fiesta Red, 3Tone Sunburst, Olympic white, a SR50 in 3Tone Sunburst, a handful of JV60 Trans Buttermilk (which we upgraded with push/pull coil split & more), a few St Vincent models in Blue, a JP160 in Pearl White, a JP150 in Neptune Blue with an insane quilt top (upgraded with DiMarzios, JP toggle, & more), some Majesty models in Stealth Black and Crimson, and a killer Koa JP (will be listed on the site Thursday).

peterd79

I know it's not the LK100D but I also have a JV60 from pete with his upgrades and I'll be the first to admit this aint no joke... the highly polish frets and the coil tap OH MAN!! these guitars are killer as well...

but pick up a lk100D and you won't be disappointed by any means

Thanks for the plug guys!

I wish I could help out on this but at the moment I don't have any Luke models in stock - we just got a large shipment from SBMM and have the following ready to go - several CT50 in the following colors Fiesta Red, 3Tone Sunburst, Olympic white, a SR50 in 3Tone Sunburst, a handful of JV60 Trans Buttermilk (which we upgraded with push/pull coil split & more), a few St Vincent models in Blue, a JP160 in Pearl White, a JP150 in Neptune Blue with an insane quilt top (upgraded with DiMarzios, JP toggle, & more), some Majesty models in Stealth Black and Crimson, and a killer Koa JP (will be listed on the site Thursday).

Top Bottom