• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

holeshot1982

I see on the web site it says "Since 1996" However I can't find any 96 models at all. I've only seen 97 for sale. Does anyone know if maybe 1997 was the first year for production? Crazy question I know but I've had one of the later ones and and an earlier one and to me the earlier felt better. Could be in my head I know. lol

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
I see on the web site it says "Since 1996" However I can't find any 96 models at all. I've only seen 97 for sale. Does anyone know if maybe 1997 was the first year for production? Crazy question I know but I've had one of the later ones and and an earlier one and to me the earlier felt better. Could be in my head I know. lol

'96 is when they officially went from EVH signatures to the Axis model. Interestingly enough, the original name for the guitars that would become the Albert Lee signatures were originally named Axis.

holeshot1982

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Any idea if there is a way to date the serial numbers or do we just have to e-mail support with them?

The serial numbers are not sequential so you will have to ask the Customer Service folks. Fortunately we have made that a little easier with this handy thread here...

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/3830-serial-production-date-guitar-778.html

You can also search the forums for previous mentions of a particular serial number by using XXXXXX site:forums.ernieball.com in your favorite search engine (XXXXXX is the serial number).

Razzle

Good luck finding a '96 pal !!

hahahahaha, maybe that's why you haven't found any of them used, people don't sell 'em!

threeminutesboy

I had one in sunburst and sold it. Was a great guitar especially for clean sound. The Floyd was not my thing

73watermutt

I have had 2 96 Axis and still own one. I had an 02 Axis as well which was a great guitar but the 2 96's just felt better to me.

Stratty316

I love my 1996 Axis and will probably never sell it unless it's a last resort. I've always thought that the 1996-2000 time period at EBMM when the neck plate was recessed was something special. It's almost like there was a little extra something going on at EBMM to prove that they were bigger than that guy who just left. If your looking for an early Axis look for one from that time period with the recessed neck plate and you should be good. However, I can't say that my 1996 Axis plays any better or sounds any better than my more current EBMM's... the HHAL is one of the nicest playing guitars I have ever owned.

Top Bottom