• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

faris

Hey guys long time since I posted here. Due to family commitment I've been playing less and lesser these past 3 years. Hope all you guys are doing well.

So here's the story (and questions to follow for those who think this is TLDR material),

Dream Theater is going to play in Singapore for I&W's 25th Anniversary Tour. Being a Malaysian citizen, I normally see those DT shows at Singapore come and go because I've already seen them once in Indonesia and for me it is enough.

What's different this time is, well it's f'ing Images and Words man and I've got this one friend who is going and wants to buy the meet & greet tix also to get his bfr & majesty signed. I said what the hell I'm not going to let him have all the fun (is that jealousy? Lol) and I planned to do the same.

So he mentions this:

"You buy the meet & greet first and then I'll buy it"

Ok then I proceed to buy the concert tix for the front free standing section and then went to buy the meet & greet at DT.net. My heart stopped when it said there was no stock for the M&G. Then I noticed the quantity is for 2 tix so I changed it to 1 then BOOM I got it.

I called my buddy and said to him you gotta try to buy it now I think they're already full which he tried immediately and was indeed out of stock.

Wow.

So as the title says, I'm going to meet DT on the 3rd of October, my childhood dream, ever since I started listening to SFAM back in 2000. So here are the questions for you who have experienced this:

1. How long is the M&G per person?
2. How should I react meeting the band for the first time? (Handshake followed by a big hug maybe?)
3. What is the best small talk topic to discuss during the M&G?
4. What are the things I SHOULD NOT do during the M&G? (Eg. Touch JP's beard, biceps, etc)
5. I'm bringing my JP6 MD and my buddy's Majesty to the M&G. Where is the best place for JP to sign them?
6. Should I let the rest of JP's friends (JK the band) sign on the guitar also? If so where?
7. After the M&G is there a place to store all my signed stuff & merchandise safely while I watch the show after?
8. Any other noteworthy stuff can also be mentioned here. (Especially by you BP & EBMM team) :D

Thanks for reading guys and thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

peterd79

2. How should I react meeting the band for the first time? (Handshake followed by a big hug maybe?)
4. What are the things I SHOULD NOT do during the M&G? (Eg. Touch JP's beard, biceps, etc)
5. I'm bringing my JP6 MD and my buddy's Majesty to the M&G. Where is the best place for JP to sign them?
6. Should I let the rest of JP's friends (JK the band) sign on the guitar also? If so where?
7. After the M&G is there a place to store all my signed stuff & merchandise safely while I watch the show after?
8. Any other noteworthy stuff can also be mentioned here. (Especially by you BP & EBMM team) :D

Thanks for reading guys and thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

First off congrats on the last M&G

I've been to meet and greets where they were a 5 minute appearance (EVH - no hand shakes, autographs) just a hello and out he went. to 45-50 minutes. Really depends on how many people and how crunched they are for the time. But given its DT I'm guessing an hour or so... would be my best guess.

the best thing to do is approach it like you were on a first date... just be yourself. Hand shake and a thanks for coming to Singapore I'm looking forward to the show. This may be all the time you have... so keep it short and simple unless they engage in more conversation.

More than likely they will be at a table and you walk into the room and exchange pleasantries... I wouldn't image them milling around like a cocktail party. Just keep it simple... thanks for coming - I appreciate your albums - you've been influential to my playing.

I've met John before in public great guy... just don't get weird ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all of that... DON"T DO

It might be easier to take the control plate or tremolo plate off and have him sign those. That way you don't have to worry about the guitars getting damaged. Sure it would be cool to have John holding your guitar but the signature is rad. I have my LK100D signed by Luke. I just took the control cover plate off and had it signed.

I wouldn't have the rest of the band sign that... they will probably have a band photo that the band will sign for everyone. At least thats how all my M&Gs have gone.

as mentioned I wouldn't take the guitars - odds are they will not come back in 100% good shape or come back at all... I would just take the tremolo cover or control plate off and have those signed. Taking a backpack you could put them in there after and you'd be good to go. Also give the sharpie some time to dry. Since the control plates are black and the guys will more than likely have black sharpies to sign their photos with I would get a Silver sharpie so the signature stands out...

just be yourself... don't bug out on em and have fun.

The guys are great so just enjoy the time.

faris

First off congrats on the last M&G

I've been to meet and greets where they were a 5 minute appearance (EVH - no hand shakes, autographs) just a hello and out he went. to 45-50 minutes. Really depends on how many people and how crunched they are for the time. But given its DT I'm guessing an hour or so... would be my best guess.

the best thing to do is approach it like you were on a first date... just be yourself. Hand shake and a thanks for coming to Singapore I'm looking forward to the show. This may be all the time you have... so keep it short and simple unless they engage in more conversation.

More than likely they will be at a table and you walk into the room and exchange pleasantries... I wouldn't image them milling around like a cocktail party. Just keep it simple... thanks for coming - I appreciate your albums - you've been influential to my playing.

I've met John before in public great guy... just don't get weird ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all of that... DON"T DO

It might be easier to take the control plate or tremolo plate off and have him sign those. That way you don't have to worry about the guitars getting damaged. Sure it would be cool to have John holding your guitar but the signature is rad. I have my LK100D signed by Luke. I just took the control cover plate off and had it signed.

I wouldn't have the rest of the band sign that... they will probably have a band photo that the band will sign for everyone. At least thats how all my M&Gs have gone.

as mentioned I wouldn't take the guitars - odds are they will not come back in 100% good shape or come back at all... I would just take the tremolo cover or control plate off and have those signed. Taking a backpack you could put them in there after and you'd be good to go. Also give the sharpie some time to dry. Since the control plates are black and the guys will more than likely have black sharpies to sign their photos with I would get a Silver sharpie so the signature stands out...

just be yourself... don't bug out on em and have fun.

The guys are great so just enjoy the time.

Thanks for the reply.

Of course when I say touch JP's beard & etc I was joking. Haha

The reason I want him to sign my guitar is because both of my guitars already have his signature on the back plate (Not in front of me but by someone else). So I want to have him sign it again on the body this time up front to make it memorable.

fjk1138

First, I am highly envious that you get to meet them! I would pay extra on top of that last M&G ticket value to be able to to do that.

Regardless, here is my humble advice for meeting the legendary DT:

I would lump #2 and #4 together. For the times I've met famous people, I've never even gave a millisecond of thought about doing anything beyond a simple handshake. They are still people at the end of the day (despite how much we may love them) and they probably don't want anything beyond that, especially if it's pre-show. I would also extend that same respect to NOT doing selfies or even using endless flash shots unless they offer to do it with you, or otherwise say it's OK.

Idea for #3: Ask them what song they are most looking forward to performing. See what kind of reaction you get.

For #5: Agree on taking one of the plates vs the whole guitar, though they may think that you are going to use it for ebaying purposes...

For #6 - Hell yeah, see if all of them will sign it!

Good luck, have fun, and please report back on what happens!

Last edited:

fjk1138

Sorry to post again, but I found this purely by accident. This will give you a pretty good idea of what the M&G will be like:

Bungo

Oh and make sure that you wear a 'Free Mike Portnoy' T shirt as well... ;)

faris

Hey guys! Sorry for the late update. I read your replies back then but had no time to reply.

The M&G video was everything I needed @fjk1138 thank you very much!

So here's some stuff that happened since my last reply.

DREAM THEATER IS PLAYING IN MALAYSIA FOR THE FIRST TIME and its a day before the show in Singapore so I'll be seeing them back to back. Good for my friend who missed the M&G as he secured the M&G here (Only 10 M&G sold).

So for the show in Singapore we changed plans from goig by car to going by flight. I really wanted to bring my JP6 for JP to sign and decided I'd dismantle the neck & bring the body only. Should be convenient for my travels. What do you guys think?

Less than a week til both shows and I'll make sure I update this thread!

beej

How about getting JP to sign the backplate instead? Easier to travel with, and you can store it somewhere for safekeeping and still enjoy the guitar :)

faris

Update! My back to back DT experience was a complete success!

2nd October 2017 - MALAYSIA

First time in history for Malaysia as Dream Theater finally came to perform here and they put up the best show us Malaysians have ever dreamed of. The setlist was magical. They played some of the songs I've dreamt of seeing them play (The Bigger Picture, Hell's kitchen and mothafckin As I Am). It was a seated hall though but the crowd was great.

3rd October 2017 - SINGAPORE

Me and my friend flew to Singapore and yes I brought my JP6 except that it wasnt dismantled like I said in my previous post. I had a friend who was willing to help deliver the guitar. He was staying in Malaysia but near the Singapore border. He's still holding the guitar for me as I type this. He did a great job arriving early and I arrived just in time, 10 minutes before the meet & greet.

The meet & greet was exactly how the video fjk1138 posted. Very brief but still it made my day. Took a picture with the band and during the meet I honestly wasn't prepared for small talks with the band because I was so nervous to meet JP but still I managed to say the important things like Hi, can you please sign here & thanks LMAO. I got every other band to sign at the back and for JP I asked him to sign behind the bridge area and it went something roughly like this:

Me: Hi John
JP: Hey
Me: Can you sign right here behind the bridge
JP: Ok sure
Me: and can you write some encouragement words like practice or something like Steve Morse wrote to you?
JP: Yea absolutely man
JP: *signs guitar*
Me: can I get a fistbump?
JP: Yeah *fistbumps*

FB_IMG_1507351849522.jpg

I'm the guy on the left. The other 2 guys I met in line were really cool. First time for me seeing a Majesty Arctic Dream and a JP12 up front. Beautiful guitars. I even saw one guy bring his JPM. I'll post more pics of my guitar once I get it back. JP signed it and wrote "Practice!!".

Seriously I felt like the little kid I was when I first heard DT 16 years ago. Even though I didn't do all the small talks but it really felt great meeting the band, my idols, my all time favorite group of great musicians up front.

A big thank you to the band and everyone involved with the shows. Truly an experience I won't forget.

Last edited:

kestrou

faris,

SUPER COOL man - an experience (and guitar!) you'll treasure for the rest of your life. :)

I do believe "the greats" realize what an impact they have on us.

Kevin

kbaim

Pretty sure i just saw guitar on EBAY

:eek:
Update! My back to back DT experience was a complete success!

2nd October 2017 - MALAYSIA

First time in history for Malaysia as Dream Theater finally came to perform here and they put up the best show us Malaysians have ever dreamed of. The setlist was magical. They played some of the songs I've dreamt of seeing them play (The Bigger Picture, Hell's kitchen and mothafckin As I Am). It was a seated hall though but the crowd was great.

3rd October 2017 - SINGAPORE

Me and my friend flew to Singapore and yes I brought my JP6 except that it wasnt dismantled like I said in my previous post. I had a friend who was willing to help deliver the guitar. He was staying in Malaysia but near the Singapore border. He's still holding the guitar for me as I type this. He did a great job arriving early and I arrived just in time, 10 minutes before the meet & greet.

The meet & greet was exactly how the video fjk1138 posted. Very brief but still it made my day. Took a picture with the band and during the meet I honestly wasn't prepared for small talks with the band because I was so nervous to meet JP but still I managed to say the important things like Hi, can you please sign here & thanks LMAO. I got every other band to sign at the back and for JP I asked him to sign behind the bridge area and it went something roughly like this:

Me: Hi John
JP: Hey
Me: Can you sign right here behind the bridge
JP: Ok sure
Me: and can you write some encouragement words like practice or something like Steve Morse wrote to you?
JP: Yea absolutely man
JP: *signs guitar*
Me: can I get a fistbump?
JP: Yeah *fistbumps*

View attachment 32560

I'm the guy on the left. The other 2 guys I met in line were really cool. First time for me seeing a Majesty Arctic Dream and a JP12 up front. Beautiful guitars. I even saw one guy bring his JPM. I'll post more pics of my guitar once I get it back. JP signed it and wrote "Practice!!".

Seriously I felt like the little kid I was when I first heard DT 16 years ago. Even though I didn't do all the small talks but it really felt great meeting the band, my idols, my all time favorite group of great musicians up front.

A big thank you to the band and everyone involved with the shows. Truly an experience I won't forget.

faris

faris,

SUPER COOL man - an experience (and guitar!) you'll treasure for the rest of your life. :)

I do believe "the greats" realize what an impact they have on us.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I really hope he stumbles on this little thread of mine.. or would that make look like a psycho? Better not. Haha.

fjk1138

Faris, congrats on your achievement of seeing TWO shows, and I am very happy that you were able to meet the DT guys and get your gear autographed safe and sound. I think it's really cool that you'll always have something special to remember them by. You are very blessed to have such good friends to help you as well.

Interestingly enough, we must be on some kind of DT wavelength because since my last post I discovered that Dream Theater will be in Chicago on Nov 3 and I went all out for the meet and greet as well. I figure I may have mere seconds to ask a question to the guys (your description pretty much is what I guessed), so I am debating on what I even want to ask, if anything.

I have also decided that I am going to forgo taking any guitar parts to sign for various reasons - basically, none of my friends will go with me (yeah thanks guys, I go to all your stuff) - and just ask them to sign a CD Sleeve or something else very small that will be easy to pocket.

I'll report back after the show. I just hope I can survive my day job in between now and then!:D:D:D

Last edited:

faris

Faris, congrats on your achievement of seeing TWO shows, and I am very happy that you were able to meet the DT guys and get your gear autographed safe and sound. I think it's really cool that you'll always have something special to remember them by. You are very blessed to have such good friends to help you as well.

Thanks man! Yeah I have the best of friends all over the country. Help doesn't come without a little $$$ though but my God was it worth it.

Interestingly enough, we must be on some kind of DT wavelength because since my last post I discovered that Dream Theater will be in Chicago on Nov 3 and I went all out for the meet and greet as well. I figure I may have mere seconds to ask a question to the guys (your description pretty much is what I guessed), so I am debating on what I even want to ask, if anything.

First of all Congratulations! Best decision of my life.

Second. Let me give you a couple of things you can try to make the meet & greet more memorable. These things I thought about after the meet which I kind of regret not trying:

1. If you're bringing your guitar ask the guys if you can bring your guitar in the photoshoot.

2. Before taking the photo try asking the guys to do a pose of your preference like fists up or something. All of the meet photos look more or less the same.

3. Don't hesitate to stop a couple more seconds for each members to talk to them. The line was fast during my meet so everyone only talked while signing & then immediately move on to the next guy.

I actually asked JR how was Malaysia but he was busy talking to MM and didn't hear me. So make sure you get their attention first!

You're paying a huge amount for such small time so make it stand out from the others. Trust me it's worth it to try stuff there if it works out. Having JP write on my guitar puts a smile on my face everytime I look back at the meet.

I have also decided that I am going to forgo taking any guitar parts to sign for various reasons - basically, none of my friends will go with me (yeah thanks guys, I go to all your stuff) - and just ask them to sign a CD Sleeve or something else very small that will be easy to pocket.

I'll report back after the show. I just hope I can survive my day job in between now and then!:D:D:D

Aww too bad man. I hope something works out for you. But you can try though bringing something that stands out if you dont bring your guitar. Something huge but easy to carry like a flag or a poster or a XXXXL shirt with a DT logo that you can frame later. Try to think of something while surviving now until the show!

P/s: Survey the venue for any lockers you can use to store your stuff. You'll get a goodie bag so might as well bring something a bit bigger than your pockets.

I wish all the best for you.

Last edited:

faris

Photo update!

I got my guitar back yesterday and it was in perfect shape (Thanks buddy!)

So yeah what SM wrote to JP, JP wrote to me :D backplate was a special gift Pete Dubaldo gave me when I bought the guitar from him.

IMG_20171014_113551_806.jpg

IMG_20171013_233851_850.jpg

Top Bottom