• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GospelBass

:):D Just love this bass, the sound, the feel, one of the best basses I've ever had. There was only one in all Canada, and guess who got it.:D:D

Karl

I must say what a nice looking Bass you have there. I was considering ordering a Smoothie but opted for the Classic Sunburst instead which is similar in looks. But what are the tonal differences in both Basses, as I would like to know.

GospelBass

Custom "Old Smoothie" 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass. This is the difference in tone control also the sound is more mellow, but I'm using 35-95 gauge bass string with very low action.

Karl

Custom "Old Smoothie" 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass. This is the difference in tone control also the sound is more mellow, but I'm using 35-95 gauge bass string with very low action.

I should have mentioned in my last post that mine also has a 2 band EQ. So is the Smoothie more mellow than my 2 band EQ Classic. I thought that the preamps were totally different as is the humbucker.

Bassconbeatz

I just noticed that the string retainer is off centered to compensate for the faux trussrod opening. Regardless, it looks hot. I haven't seen a 5'r as of yet.

GospelBass

Well, last night while trying to put on a 50 gauge "G" string, the corner of the nut broke off. Can I purchase a new nut from Ernie Ball? Model# 1170S2202, Serial# E98950. Date of purchase 06/20/2017.

GregP

What is the neck profile like? Similar to the Cutlass because that's my favorite EBMM neck profile :)

GregP

I've been considering this bass very strongly myself. What holds me back is the slab body and not knowing what the back of the neck profile is. I think the modern classic basses have spoiled me with their body contouring ;-)

GregP

Is it uncomfortable to play a bass with a slap body? Got a few mint green old smoothies on reverb I'm eyeing. ;-)

Karl

Is it uncomfortable to play a bass with a slap body? Got a few mint green old smoothies on reverb I'm eyeing. ;-)

Although I don't own a Old Smoothie, I do own a Classic which has the same slab body and I do not find it uncomfortable to play, but I also own a RIC 4003 which I also find no discomfort in playing that either. If all basses were made that way you wouldn't even notice it, it will just feel a bit different at first compared to a contoured body.

BCbassman

That looks like a great bass. Is it true that Old Smoothie is a throwback to an original Leo Fender pickup design that was used on one or more of the prototype MM basses?
I would love to try one out.

GregP

Am I correct in assuming the Old Smoothie is a standard production model now? If so, I wish the GC near me would start stocking them ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom