• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

marmull

Hey everyone,

this is my first post here. I am a long term Music Man Addict, playing a Silhouette HSH since 1990, added a Silhouette Special HSS in 2013 and last year was lucky to find a used game changer HSH/Trem for a very reasonable price. I love the game changer, which is my main guitar since I got it. The only problem I have is that strings break very frequently, even the new paradigm (10-46) strings. I got the guitar set up by an experienced tech but did not solve the problem. So for live gigs I rely on a spare guitar. At the moment, I use the Silhouette Special but had to figure out that the output of the SS pickups is much lower comparted to the GC. So my two questions:

1. Any tricks to prevent broken strings with the GC+Trem (apart from ... find a better tech ... or ... change your style of play ... ;-) ) ? The strings break at the bridge, usually thicker ones like A oder D-string

2. What pickup-upgrade for the SS would you recommend to match the output of the SS to the GC ?

Thanks everone for help & Best wishes,

Marcus

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If the strings are breaking at the bridge the question is "precisely where?" Saddles can over time develop notches and indentations from string pressure and motion which accelerate string wear and breakage. Inspect with a magnifier of some sort (jeweller's loupe, digital camera with macro). If you find this kind of thing right where the string is breaking, a few minutes with a narrow needle file and some fine sandpaper will help solve the problem. (My old strat was horrible for this and this was part of monthly maintenance routine back when I was gigging four times a week).

See this image here...

Saddle-before-after.jpg

Or you could just get in touch with EBMM customer service buy a new set of saddles.

Last edited:

Wahoonc

I have not had this problem with either of my GCs. Dr. Kev is usually great about pointing you in the right direction, though. Let us know what you learn. And welcome!

marmull

Thank you for the helpful suggestion! I will check and see if I can fix it. :)

marmull

No obvious notches but will try the needle file move anyway. Do you have any suggestions concerning pick ups, which have a similar output compared to the GC? Thank you :)

Top Bottom