• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GregP

I was recently performing a set up on my Caprice and was curious about the stock settings for pickup height. I read the FAQ on EBMM's website detailing pickup height but was unsure if this was intended mainly for the Stingray/Sterling/Bongo. Are there different pickup height recommendations for the Cutlass/Caprice?

Best Regards,
-Greg P

P.S.
Ernie Ball's FAQ reads as follows:
If you have a single pickup bass set the pickup height to 6/32" from the plastic pickup cover to the bottom of the G string. Adjust the bass side of the pickup to be level with the pickguard.
If you have a dual pickup bass set the bridge pickup to the specs above. Follow the same procedure for the neck pickup except set that to 8/32".
For triple pickup basses you'll set the bridge and neck pickups to the specs above. The middle pickup is set to 7/32".

WillyD

Ernie Ball, Inc.
Hi Greg,

We hope you are enjoying your Caprice.

Height spec is slightly different for Caprice/Cutlass basses.

Bridge: 4/32"
Neck: 5/32" outside | 6/32" Inside

GregP

WillyD,
Thank you for info. I absolute love my Caprice. I had always loved the playability and the quality of EBMM instruments. However, I prefer the sound of a passive bass. So when you released the Caprice I was sold.

GregP

I found some really great settings to use with my 40-95 Cobalt flats. So full disclosure, I've played jazz basses all my life so the settings I've used generate a very soft, even, and articulate tone. All settings are measured flush from the back part of each pickup.
Bridge: 12/64"
Neck: Split pickup for E and A strings
Left side:(closest to player): 10/64" Right side: 9/64"
Split pickup for D and G strings
Left side: 11/64" Right side: 8/64"
Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom