• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrmckinney

Jones4tone messaged and asked me how the HSH GC tones compare to the Armada. In trying this, I feel like they sound incredibly similar... like REALLY similar. Of course, the feel of the guitars is completely different but, on a recording, I'm not sure I could pick out one from the other. Anyone else tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agt

I have a HH 25th and an Armada. Both have rosewood boards but the 25th has a vintage trem.

The tones are not worlds apart, but my impression is that the pickups on the Armada are lower output and more vintage PAF sounding. Sweeter and chimier and a bit brighter. More complex, sophisticated and polite. Could be the contributions of the construction designs (scale length, through vs. bolt-on), hardware (tune-o-matic vs. vintage trem), and specific pieces of wood in my particular specimens causing this perception, but that is what I hear.

mrmckinney

I also have an HH Reflex (maybe my favorite guitar at this point) and it sounds different from the Armada. It's specifically the HSH GC that sounds sooo similar to me. The HSH GC, if I'm not mistaken, has a completely different pickup set that the HH models... different magnets, etc.

BUC

I have both a GC and an Armada and I think they're very different instruments.

While the GC can mimic a lot of Armada tones it FEELS completely different than the Armada.

The GC is by miles a more flexible instrument tone wise.

However the Armada is very unique. Neck through with a painted neck. Shorter scale makes for a much different feel. The bridge of the Armada makes for much different picking hand placement and feel.

Could I blind test the tones between the two? Well I'm sure the GC can make some noises the Armada can't come close to BUT if you were trying to get the GC to sound like the Armada I'll be you could come pretty darn close. I agree with AGT description above. But in the end, it's the feel of the two instruments that would be the HUGE difference.

Both are fantastic guitars. I gig relentlessly with my GC but the Armada never leaves the studio. I don't keep a lot of "studio queens" around but the Armada is safe. I love playing it but it's not going out to gig with me. Primarily because it feels so completely different than my other guitars, it takes a few minutes to qet used to.

mrmckinney

Thanks, BUC. I agree. They are completely different animals. My observation was just on how similar the standard 3 positions were between the two. I love them both for different reasons but from a strictly tone perspective I think the GC does a more than respectable job of mimicking the Armada.

Top Bottom