• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

adam1882

Hello all, first post here!

Well I've totally fallen in love with Musicman.

After stumbling across a beaten up old Axis Sport at a bargain price a couple of years ago all the Fenders and Gibson's are gone and I now have just an ASS and a Luke.

FB_IMG_1499859601056.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of trying many before I buy in England, there aren't many dealers here. So most of my purchases are done on gut instinct!

Both my Super Sport and Luke are awesome, they feel different to each other as most will know but still perfect for me in their own respective ways. I have quite small hands and they really suit me.

Looking at maybe Stingray or a Silhouette model next. I play mostly hard rock/metal but love the look of them. I know the Stingray is a bit more vintage based but a couple of high output humbuckers would sort out any issues there if the stock ones didn't cut it.

So just wondering if anyone can advise me on how these necks feel in comparison to what I already own?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DC23

Although I would certainly wait for many more knowledgable MM users, I just wanted to chime in as it seems we're in the same position. I picked up a used Luke recently and all of my other guitars are sitting on stands. Since then I've been trying to play whatever music man models I can to decide on a next purchase. I think the Silhouette or Silhouette Special may be more up your alley than a stingray. I had a chance to try one and the neck was phenomenal (I also have rather small hands, so smaller/thinner necks work great for me). I also tried a Steve Morse blue burst last week but found the neck to be a tad on the chunky side.

You should also check out the JPX or JPXi. I found the necks to feel quite different than the regular JP6 models. Hope some of this helps!

John C

I've tried a few StingRays over the past 12-18 months and would agree with DC23 - the StingRay necks are pretty similar to the Axis but slightly fatter. Plus the StingRay is a good-sized guitar; it's almost 3" longer than the Luke or the Axis, so it's going to have a different feel.

I've owned 3 Silo Specials - the neck on those (or the Silo) is probably going to be closer to the Axis neck than the StingRay neck.

adam1882

Thanks guys.

Such a hard choice, all the guitars seem amazing and been mightily impressed with everything I've played so far.

I love Dream Theater but the JP models seem a bit too 'metal' for me, I like heavy music but prefer the more traditional styles of guitars.

xjbebop

Welcome to the addiction! Great family here.
I can't answer your question about the newer models but I will point out the the JP / Majesty series, while being fabulous guitars, have thin, shredder like necks.

adam1882

"Welcome to the addiciton" haha, sums it up perfectly.

I'm not so much into the shredding side, I play lead but definitely nothing spectacular. I had an old 80's Kramer Pacer Carrera and I found the neck to be way too wide for me.

I don't mind guitars varying in feel (I guess that is the point?), the Axis and Luke feel very different but I love them both.

Wahoonc

If you like the Axis, a Reflex or GameChanger might be up your alley. In terms of versatility, there is nothing in the same galaxy as the GameChanger. The HH has Axis pickups and HSH has custom pickups that are very similar but voiced slightly different.

I have also had an AL HH (great guitar, but fell in love with the Axis semi and GameChanger) and a Silhouette HSH. AL neck is chunkier than Axis. Silhouette pickup output is noticeably lower than an axis, but it's a ninja. Wish I would have kept the Silhouette.

Hope this helps.

jones4tone

I don't mind guitars varying in feel (I guess that is the point?), the Axis and Luke feel very different but I love them both.

I can't imagine you would find a Silo uncomfortable, in that case. I switch from Luke3, to Axis, to Silo, to Reflex, to Valentine with no issue at all. The necks on all of them feel wonderful in their own way.

adam1882

Really appreciating all the input guys!

I don't really like the look of the AL to be honest.

The Game Changer interests me, but it might be wasted on me!

I could probably grow to love any MM neck, the Axis and Luke were both spur of the moment purchases without trying first, or did I just get lucky?

Decisions, decisions!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Sorry Glenn, I knew that. I should have been more specific, I meant the profile/shape?

Going from my Silhouette Special to occasional few minutes on a buddy's Silhouette I can't say I've ever noticed difference in profile and to the best of my knowledge they are the same carve. But with 22 vs 24 fret necks, the body shapes are a little different (because the neck pockets are different distances from the bridge). So the two guitars feel a little different to play. And of course the neck humbucker adds an additional difference. Yes they are very similar, but they are different instruments, one is not just a 22/24 fret version of the other.

adam1882

Going from my Silhouette Special to occasional few minutes on a buddy's Silhouette I can't say I've ever noticed difference in profile and to the best of my knowledge they are the same carve. But with 22 vs 24 fret necks, the body shapes are a little different (because the neck pockets are different distances from the bridge). So the two guitars feel a little different to play. And of course the neck humbucker adds an additional difference. Yes they are very similar, but they are different instruments, one is not just a 22/24 fret version of the other.

That's more the answer I was looking for :)

So I'm assuming the Special leans more towards feeling like the Axis than the original Silo does...

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Well, kind of, if you just think of the 22/24 fret thing, but not really, no. Body carves and body shape are so different I just couldn't ever say that anymore than I'd compare the either of silos to an Armada or Reflex. Perhaps the Special leans more towards feeling like a Luke or Morse than the original Silo does but the number of frets is just one part of the story.

Flash Gordon

Go silo special if you like your ass. I have very small hands as well. I have only Axis and Silo in my collection of 10 EBMM guitars these days. Sold my Luke, sold my AL.

mrmckinney

They are all soooooo good. Such a hard choice. I love them all but I continue to gravitate toward the Reflex and the Valentine. Every time I pick one up lately, it's one of those two. The Reflex has me particularly captivated. Of course, the only Reflex profile currently being built is the GameChanger but there are plenty of Reflexes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wahoonc

They are all soooooo good. Such a hard choice. I love them all but I continue to gravitate toward the Reflex and the Valentine. Every time I pick one up lately, it's one of those two. The Reflex has me particularly captivated. Of course, the only Reflex profile currently being built is the GameChanger but there are plenty of Reflexes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, seriously, why not buy the GC? It gives you the reflex, plus 1000 other guitars. Amazing instrument.

Wahoonc

I know that wasn't directed at me, but the GC would be wasted on me.

You might be surprised. It's easy as pie to set up both banks to the tones you want. I have Bank A set to humbucker tones, Bank B to single coils. Done. Plug it in to your amp and play. Never have to set it again if you like the tones. If you like the reflex, set the reflex tones. Axis, you can do that. It's so versatile. I think there is a notion that you have to tinker or constantly play with it, but you don't. It is literally a Reflex, but with a million other tones if you should want or need different tones. No downside. If you are interested in a Reflex, which I think you might be, the GC is a Reflex and a whole lot more. Worth a hard look. You don't have to use its potential, but it is there if you ever need it. My two cents. Not trying to hijack your thread, so I'll be quiet now!

Top Bottom