• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

strangegrey

Hey folks,

So I'll cautiously ask this question. Is the Axis in danger of being discontinued. Every large retailer appears to have little to no stock on them (despite tons of available JP and Majesty models)....

Im in the market for a new one and it's disappointing that it appears theres not enough interest at EBMM to make enough such that major retailers can stock just one Axis.

would love to hear some news, good or bad...

Thanks,
Frank

jones4tone

I can't shed any light on what's being phased in or out, but I can say that every EBMM is built to order. Until a dealer places an order for an instrument, it doesn't get built. EBMM have the "interest" to make any guitar/bass in their current product offerings for a dealer who orders that instrument.

If a dealer doesn't have a particular model in stock, they either didn't order any, or have sold all that they ordered. (Or they could have guitars of a particular model in the pipeline. It takes a while between placing an order and shipment to the dealer. Some dealers might list these as available, while others might only show what they have actually on hand.) The retailers determine what is built by their orders.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If a dealer doesn't have a particular model in stock, they either didn't order any, or have sold all that they ordered.

Yes.

Dealers lose money if guitars take up space on a wall that other faster selling models could be using. It's a brave dealer indeed that orders stock of high-end instruments just to have so people can see what they are. Especially in this day and age when a bricks-and-mortar store basically becomes a showroom where people try out instruments and then go home and order cheaper online.

spychocyco

Check out the Premier Dealers. They tend to have a little more stock of different models. Haven't checked in a while, but when I bought my PDN earlier this year, Willcutt Guitars had quite a few Axis and ASS models in different configurations. Any dealer can order one for you, and you get what you want, instead of just what the dealer stocks. There's a little wait, but I do love opening that bag and knowing that I'm the first person to touch it since it left the factory. :)

dibart77

Huh, this is interesting. So every Axis made was ordered by a dealer?

I believe that every EBMM guitar made is either:

a) ordered by a dealer, because the dealer's customer asks the dealer to order that guitar
b) ordered by a dealer without a particular customer in mind, to hang in the store or stock in their warehouse
c) made for an EBMM artist
d) made for a trade show (like NAMM or the Philly/Dallas guitar shows) -- usually a pretty cool one off
e) made for an employee or friend of EBMM
f) a prototype new model or new color combo -- usually go to an artist or get chopped

The key is: EBMM does NOT say "ok, next week we are going to do a run of 50 red Majesty Monarchy's for our warehouse in anticipation of sales", whereas other manufacturers do that and then keep them all in a big warehouse waiting (hoping) a dealer will order it.

EBMM DOES say, "next week we'll make the next XX guitars on our backlog."

Casey, did I get that right?

lock-ny

OP call CS and find out where a new one was recently shipped to and call that store and buy your new axis,,,,I did that once and I got the guitar I wanted...Dubaldo Music in CT might have an axis...

jones4tone

a) ordered by a dealer, because the dealer's customer asks the dealer to order that guitar
b) ordered by a dealer without a particular customer in mind, to hang in the store or stock in their warehouse
d) made for a trade show (like NAMM or the Philly/Dallas guitar shows) -- usually a pretty cool one off
f) a prototype new model or new color combo -- usually go to an artist or get chopped

The key is: EBMM does NOT say "ok, next week we are going to do a run of 50 red Majesty Monarchy's for our warehouse in anticipation of sales", whereas other manufacturers do that and then keep them all in a big warehouse waiting (hoping) a dealer will order it.

Jeff said better what I intended. EBMM does not want to be in the business of warehousing completed instruments.

lifeson1

I saw this thread and almost burst out laughing. Phase out the Axis???? No WAY IN. . . wait a minute. OP is right, I was in a local Sam Ash here in NYC yesterday, and they DID have a huge JP display with almost all those models, a couple Valentine's, Cutless, Saint V., and yeah, NO Axis!!!!! I haven't seen a new Axis in any area retailer in a long time. What's happening here?

So, is it a valid question? In a million years I would have said no way up until I started doing the math. Maybe it is. . .

PeteDuBaldo

OP call CS and find out where a new one was recently shipped to and call that store and buy your new axis,,,,I did that once and I got the guitar I wanted...Dubaldo Music in CT might have an axis...

Thanks for the plug! The majority of our Axis guitars coming in (which were ordered for store stock) have been pre-sold. I do still have a Koa Axis available (estimated delivery in October). This particular BFR model was only available to order while at the NAMM Show in 2017

beamer128

I do believe Jeff is correct. I seem to remember Sterling answering the "custom shop" question by stating that they'll build what a dealer asks for. I'm also guessing that's requests that are within reason. Yet I'm betting I can't call up Pete and ask for an Purple Axis with quilt top. Will probably have to wait for the next tribute run.

thankyouebmm

I found the same thing when buying a new guitar. New Axis models were harder to find and the used market has really gone up in price. In the end i purchased my LIII instead and super happy. But I do want another Axis down the line as my tribute is "the one that got away"

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator

That seems pretty spot on to me.

I can say pretty definitely that the Axis is not going anywhere. It will keep chugging along like all other models in our lineup. As a matter of fact, part of what we want to do is get the word out on non sigs like Axis and Silhouette models, get them in new hands, different audiences, that kind of thing.

Signatures already do so much for us as a company, but we really want to support the non sigs to get them on that same level. That's one of our focuses right now.

mikeller

That seems pretty spot on to me.

I can say pretty definitely that the Axis is not going anywhere. It will keep chugging along like all other models in our lineup. As a matter of fact, part of what we want to do is get the word out on non sigs like Axis and Silhouette models, get them in new hands, different audiences, that kind of thing.

Signatures already do so much for us as a company, but we really want to support the non sigs to get them on that same level. That's one of our focuses right now.

Great news!!! I was a little worried about the Silo and Silo Special - those are great guitars (as is the Axis)

DevRock

Regardless, something HAS happened in the marketplace with these. Perhaps they've been missing from marketing for so long, people assumed they were gone. Hence, a downward spiral?

Pete, that Koa AXIS.... *drool*

Top Bottom