• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Westegg

Hey Everyone - Just wanted to say hello and share that I purchased my first Music Man yesterday. I think I got a pretty good deal on a new Majesty that went on clearance at Guitar Center for $1999. I typically hate buying guitars that have been hanging in shops but this one seemed to be maintained well. Right now I also own an E-II Horizon, which I absolutely love. Here are some of my initial observations:

1. The Majesty is smaller than I thought it would be. Seems to be a common theme but I expected something larger for some reason, especially since Petrucci is so hulked up these days and it looks big on him.

2. I plugged the Majesty into the exact same rig setup I had been using with the Horizon to compare the pickups. I was surprised that the Dimarzio Illuminators are much hotter the Duncans in my Horizon (at least to my ears).

3. I changed strings to 9's and had to adjust the claw a little bit (which I expected) and the also loosened the truss rod a little. I noticed that the truss rod wheel is pretty loose if I try to go counterclockwise any further. It was setup with super low action from Guitar Center and the 2nd fret was buzzing. I'm a little surprised the truss rod wheel is already so loose. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I really do like this guitar so far. I've been playing it nonstop since yesterday afternoon. It's probably going to take me a few months to really size it up compared to some other guitars I've owned, but it seems extremely soiid so far. Oh yeah... here's a pic:).

IMG_6123.jpg

Thanks
Westegg

dibart77

Awesome way to join the forum, with the holy grail. The Majesty is a life changer. Enjoy!

Etudica

As far as the truss wheel turning loosely, it may just take some time for the neck to acclimate. I notice this on mine every now and then, typically during summer when humidity is slightly higher, but it eventually seems to get snug again after some time, and eventually I'll need to tighten again during the next change in seasons. After the initial setup with 9s, I've never had to move the truss adjustment any more than 1/2 turn, typically less than a 1/4.

Westegg

As far as the truss wheel turning loosely, it may just take some time for the neck to acclimate. I notice this on mine every now and then, typically during summer when humidity is slightly higher, but it eventually seems to get snug again after some time, and eventually I'll need to tighten again during the next change in seasons. After the initial setup with 9s, I've never had to move the truss adjustment any more than 1/2 turn, typically less than a 1/4.

Thanks, that's good to know. I only had to adjust the wheel between an eighth and quarter to get it right. A little seems to go a long way.

Razzle

Love the majesty, congrats!

That was a smokin' deal (I think I saw that one), super rare they down to that level (but you do see it on occasion).

tonechaser1

Thanks, that's good to know. I only had to adjust the wheel between an eighth and quarter to get it right. A little seems to go a long way.

Congrats on the new axe! My Majesty is by far the best guitar that I have ever purchased. It still continues to blow my mind every time I strap it on, and I've owned it for more than two years now!

In my experience, very small turns of the truss rod and a day or two for it to settle works very well with the Majesty. Also, keep in mind that the Majesty plays the best with a little fret buzz (that doesn't sound through the amp), if you like lower action.

bhull

I typically hate buying guitars that have been hanging in shops but this one seemed to be maintained well.

Welcome to the forum and gratz on the new Majesty.

As to the guitar maybe hanging for a while and being in good shape....at my local GC, they currently have 3 Majesty's in stock in the Platinum room. 2 Monarchy's and an Arctic Dream. The Monarchy's are literally under lock and key in plexiglass displays. The Arctic Dream is 20 feet up. I'm guessing this eliminates 90% of 'never gonna buy it' tinkering. If yours was stored in a similar manner, it's no surprise it's in good shape.

Anyways, enjoy.

mapleleaf14

Agree with most - my Majesty is my finest guitar along with my Collings 290.

And JP is bulky, but he's short!!

Etudica

As to the guitar maybe hanging for a while and being in good shape....at my local GC, they currently have 3 Majesty's in stock in the Platinum room. 2 Monarchy's and an Arctic Dream.

I should move to wherever you live! I spent the last few days calling every store, small and big, within 4 hours of me and there is only 1 arctic dream that I could find in stock. I really should've broken out the plastic and jumped on the monarchy preorder.

Westegg

I should move to wherever you live! I spent the last few days calling every store, small and big, within 4 hours of me and there is only 1 arctic dream that I could find in stock. I really should've broken out the plastic and jumped on the monarchy preorder.

I had the same problem! Couldn't find one to play nearby and drove out of town to pick up the Majesty on Saturday. I did however get to play a JP16 a few weeks ago that was also on clearance for $1899 but passed. I think I made a better decision with the Polar Noir:D

Dennis5131

Artisan Majesty in Rosso

Hello Westegg and congrats on getting your Majesty. My wife surprised me with my dream guitar on my birthday. I have wanted a Artisan Majesty in Rosso, since they came out. I played a few of the Majesty's at the local Guitar Center, but for that kind of money, I wanted the Artisan. I can tell you when I opened the box, and saw the case, my heart dropped because I couldn't believe that she finally took all of the hints I had dropped. The deep red with the gold hardware just pops and everyone who has seen it has commented on how beautiful it is. Some even asked to hold it, but I just laughed at them because that wasn't going to happen. Ha!

I love both the weight and size of the guitar and it plays like a dream. Like you I have played it every possible moment and I am still experiencing all of the different tones it can make with the piezo and pickups. It is everything I had hoped it would be and more.

I was fortunate enough to meet the guys from Dream Theater, to include my favorite guitar player John Petrucci at a show they did in Richmond Virginia. They were all so down to earth and I remember talking to JP about his new pick design that he had (which I now use). It was still hard to believe that JP was standing right in front of me and we were talking about DT's tour and his guitar playing. I even joked with him saying that I had wanted a Majesty for so long that I saw them packing his guitars up after the show and I contemplated jumping down onto the stage and taking the one he played Spirit Carries On, on, but Mattie looked he wasn't going to have any of that.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Majesty as much as I do mine. It has taken a while for me to finally get it and that is only because I have the best wife in the world.
IMG_5072.jpg

Top Bottom