• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mariner-aaron

As I'm about to pull the trigger on a cutlass model i have a few questions to ask. Im going to attempt a few modifications.

1. The tremolo as I understand sits flush on the body with no routing underneath for pulling up. Is it possible to have it done aftermarket and still be functional?

2. Can the stock nut be changed out for a roller nut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
1) Yes. Folks here have done it on Axis guitars. Or you could do the Luke/Jeff Beck style float which also works great. Set like the photo, you'll get minor third up-pull on the G-string.

attachment.php

2) Yes, but would require permanent modification to the neck/headstock. The stock compensated nut is wider and in a slightly different position compared to other nuts.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
DrKev is spot on as usual, just one note I had thought of: the tailpiece on the Cutlass is a different design (aesthetically speaking) than the regular MM vintage trem like the one pictured ITT, idk if that can affect balancing, make it easier or tougher, shouldn't be a problem.

Just be extra attentive when setting your trem up for float. I've said before that the trem balancing is its own ecosystem, one change can affect other parts. Adjust the claw, then tune, then adjust again, check intonation, etc.

mikeller

I have floated my Cutlass trem. If you would like pictures of the bridge let me know. It works perfectly fine, although I wish the trem arm was up just a very slight bit higher.

Fro

It should be easy enough to bend your trem arm to a comfortable angle.

Jason2112

Floating the Cutlass trem is easy. As you raise the bridge using the 2 pivot screws, equally lower the individual saddles to maintain the same string height. You'll get enough distance under the bridge to get a nice vibrato, just don't expect to get crazy pitch changes. Generally speaking, I don't like setting up the trem where the baseplate (where the saddles are sitting) is not parallel to the body.

Mariner-aaron

Thanks guys I appreciate that!! As much as i hate to route the underneath of a trem to pull up. Ill try these mentioned options. The rolling nut is something else i wanna tackle as well. I do want to be able to do the whole Jeff beck thing. Ill start with the tremolo. The rolling nut as mentioned appears to be a permanent mod id hate to do that and it not work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom