• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wahoonc

Recently picked this up, but in the process of buying/selling a house and haven't had much time to do much else--include play it. However, happy as can be after setting it up. Like my ASSes, it feels 'right.' The floyd will take some getting used to for pick hand placement--feels totally different that the GC or ASS--but not uncomfortable.

I think this completes the family. Top totally sucks too.

thumb_IMG_1588_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_1589_1024.jpg

phillybri

That is gorgeous! What a friggin' specimen!!!

And you nailed it, that top blows. Perfect boatwake quilts are so overrated...:eek:

vic_loher

Just got one myself on Tuesday. Same top Trans Gold Quilt, but super sport. Wasn't sure about sound quality at first play, but absolutely love it now! Enjoy!

Jason2112

That's a beauty! I got tired of floating Floyd Rose trems a while ago, but I always thought a blocked Floyd Rose (or in this case, one that rests on the body) is about as perfect a bridge as it gets for finicky people like me. It's a little bulky but I love having the fine tuners readily available for minor tuning tweaks.

Wahoonc

Thanks! Yeah, the quilt is nice. Oddly enough my ASS semi's cherry burst has the same boat wake quilt. Love the trans gold, obviously, but that cherry burst quilt might be the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. The depth in person is unreal. Totally 3-dimensional. Man, I have a nice pair of balls!

I knew what to expect soundwise--although the Axis seems to have a tad more punch and cut above my semi. The semis are a little bit warmer to my ears (and project almost like an acoustic by comparison when unplugged), but the pups are the same. Very responsive to pick attack and style. I'm actually looking forward to playing with the dynamics of using only volume and picking to affect tone. The fact that it almost forces you to pay attention to how the guitar is responding is something I probably should have learned a long time ago. I'm by no means at a level where I can coax unlimited tone out of a guitar with one volume knob and two humbuckers, but maybe if I eat right, study hard, and practice, one day I can. : )

Vic, where are you in NC? (Where I was born and raised.)

vic_loher

Hi Robb,

I live in Apex, just outside of Raleigh. I see that you're in the DC area, I lived in Woodbridge, VA from 77-79. Really enjoy living in Apex...perfect climate and great area.

What area of NC did you grow up in?

Vic

Last edited:

mrpingua

I've always hated Gold/Amber guitars. EBMM is the only company that I am aware of that makes one that looks not great but amazing. Enjoy!

Wahoonc

Hi Robb,

I live in Apex, just outside of Raleigh. I see that you're in the DC area, I lived in Woodbridge, VA from 77-79. Really enjoy living in Apex...perfect climate and great area.

What area of NC did you grow up in?

Vic

Vic, take a left on 70 and go straight until you hit the water. That's where I grew up. Technically, Emerald Isle, but 70 takes you into Morehead City/Atlantic Beach, which is the other end of the Island.

You wouldn't recognize Woodbridge these days. Nothing but houses and roads.

Apex is nice. You have a great golf course there--played it about ten years ago.

You make back it back to NOVA ever?

Robb

vic_loher

Robb,

Lived in Morehead City 86 - 90. Was stationed at CG Base/Group Ft. Macon. Haven't been back to that area in some time.

Visit DC very occasionally, but, as you mentioned Woodbridge has changed so much that I had trouble even finding the townhouse that I had there.

Vic

Wahoonc

I've always hated Gold/Amber guitars. EBMM is the only company that I am aware of that makes one that looks not great but amazing. Enjoy!

Agree. Also the only company that makes a plain black guitar (Game Changer) that looks fantastic! They know what they're doing.

Wahoonc

Robb,

Lived in Morehead City 86 - 90. Was stationed at CG Base/Group Ft. Macon. Haven't been back to that area in some time.

Visit DC very occasionally, but, as you mentioned Woodbridge has changed so much that I had trouble even finding the townhouse that I had there.

Vic

Everybody lives in Morehead City at some point. It's the center of the universe. : )

vic_loher

Brian, let's get together and play. My number is 919-303-9639.

Vic

Top Bottom