• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Twang Banger

Anyone ever put an Earvana compensated nut on one of the older Albert Lee's (made prior to when EB/MM made compensated nuts standard - I think prior to about 2005)???

EB/MM is adamant that the compensated nut they make cannot be retrofitted on the older AL models.

Any issues, problems, suggestions regarding using the Earvana on the older AL?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 298

beej

While the compensated nut is nice, I find it's a subtle improvement - not a dramatic one. Can't say that I'd want to retrofit a compensated nut of any kind into an old neck, and potentially diminish it's value.

headcrash

I let a buddy luthier put a compensated nut on my AL-MM90-converted-to-HH some years ago.
A band mate had a newer ASS at the time with one of the new nuts. The luthier took the measures of it and built one from bone.

Actually it works, and I have the impression that it just does what it's supposed to do, quite well.
But the guitar now is a bit finicky to tuning with drastic temperature (or maybe moisture?) changes.
And keep in mind: tha way I did it, it can't be reversed!

All that said, I think I wouldn't do it again, since the improvement is not as dramatic as I expected, just like beej said.

Twang Banger

All good advice! I think I will leave well-enough alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom