• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

alpinestudio

I recently bought an "open box" sterling AX40D and I noticed the tremolo is not sitting flush with the body. Instead, it's sitting at an angle where its further up towards the pickups and only part of the back of the tremolo is touching the body. I tried to lower the posts to have it sit flush, but the strings are too close to the frets and cause buzzing on the upper registers of the neck. Is there a good way to set this up? It may have been originally set up high like that from the factory as I highly doubt someone that owned it prior or a tech messed with it before being sold to me. Thanks!!

SBMM

I recently bought an "open box" sterling AX40D and I noticed the tremolo is not sitting flush with the body. It may have been originally set up high like that from the factory as I highly doubt someone that owned it prior or a tech messed with it before being sold to me. Thanks!!

As it is an open box, it will be hard to distinguish if it has not been messed with prior to your receiving it, but, at any rate, can you post a couple of pictures? Front of guitar, closeup of the pickups, and close up of bridge showing issue. Where did you purchase it from?

alpinestudio

I purchased it from musicians friend as an open box. Most likely it's a customer return from someone who just didn't like it. I will post pics later tonight.

Tollywood

If I were you, I would raise the posts back to where they were.

Then, back out the screws that hold the claw which the tremolo springs are attached to. Back them out little by little, keeping both of them about the same depth, until the back of the tremolo lowers down to the body.

Good luck!

alpinestudio

Here are some pics of it. I raised it back to where it was when I originally got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 308

Tollywood

Oh, I'm sorry. Your picture is not what I was imagining. Yay photography! :D

Good luck with the official advice in the PM.

alpinestudio

Just an update. I got the guitar back. The set up is very nice and they took care of the sharp fret ends. I had to tweak it slightly due to the climate changes upon receiving it. I love the way it plays! Thank you Brian for the service. You have a repeat customer.

SBMM

Just an update. I got the guitar back. The set up is very nice and they took care of the sharp fret ends. I had to tweak it slightly due to the climate changes upon receiving it. I love the way it plays! Thank you Brian for the service. You have a repeat customer.

You're very welcome!

Top Bottom