• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fjk1138

Greetings to All,

I have a new Majesty on the way, delivering to the Midwest USA by Friday. It's currently in the 80s, sunny but on the somewhat humid side.

About how long of a time is a safe bet to let the guitar sit in the box/case in the house before opening it? A couple of hours? More? And does it need to sit in the box first for a while, then taking the case out and letting that sit, etc? Figure it's going from UPS to my air conditioned car (I'm picking it up to prevent porch theft) to an air conditioned house with about 40-50% humidity.

Sorry if it's a paranoid question, I just don't want anything going wrong before I even have a chance to enjoy it.

Thanks to all who respond.

Wahoonc

Greetings to All,

I have a new Majesty on the way, delivering to the Midwest USA by Friday. It's currently in the 80s, sunny but on the somewhat humid side.

About how long of a time is a safe bet to let the guitar sit in the box/case in the house before opening it? A couple of hours? More? And does it need to sit in the box first for a while, then taking the case out and letting that sit, etc? Figure it's going from UPS to my air conditioned car (I'm picking it up to prevent porch theft) to an air conditioned house with about 40-50% humidity.

Sorry if it's a paranoid question, I just don't want anything going wrong before I even have a chance to enjoy it.

I've never let a guitar sit in the box and I usually open the case on arrival to let it acclimate. If there is a significant difference in temperature between my house and the case/guitar I let it sit for a while, but I don't think it's necessary. Might experience some incremental changes in the neck/tuning while it's acclimating to the temp/humidity, but once it's fully acclimated--shouldn't be more than a day, I wouldn't think--you're ready to go.

mikeller

Greetings to All,

First off - congrats!!!! I also live in the midwest. I would be way more concerned with this in the winter than in the summer. You might play it safe and remove the case from the box and leave the case closed for an hour after it reaches home, but it should be okay.

That said, I have purchased guitars in the winter and will leave case boxed for a while, slicing the box ends to allow some air in, then gradually take case out etc.

Please post pictures!! Enjoy

fjk1138

Thanks guys. I figured it shouldn't be as big a deal in the summer time but wanted to ask those with more experience.

Pictures to follow in a couple of days!

spychocyco

Wow. You guys have way more willpower than me. If a new guitar box comes into my house, it's got about enough time for me to find a knife and start cutting the tape to acclimate. :p

mikeller

Wow. You guys have way more willpower than me. If a new guitar box comes into my house, it's got about enough time for me to find a knife and start cutting the tape to acclimate. :p

Yeah, its been tough a few times. Early this year I bought a L3 BFR new from dealer. It was really really cold out and I knew it had been in a cold warehouse overnight and in a cold truck. I had to wait 3-4 hours before seeing it!!!

spychocyco

Luckily, it rarely gets below freezing here in La., but you can practically slice through the humidity, especially this time of year. :)

Last edited:

Wahoonc

No doubt. D.C. is a swamp too! (Literally, D.C. is built on a swamp.)

mikeller

Normally Ohio is also but so far most of this month have been rather pleasant, even a little cool at night. Very wet July however, 3rd wettest since they started tracking it.

fjk1138

Well it appears that Sweetwater is a little.... disorganized....this week so no pics until next week. I couldn't get a straight story on what the delay was caused by. One minute they had it packed up for shipping, another minute it was being inspected, another time it was ALREADY inspected.

I hope this isn't a sign...

mikeller

Well it appears that Sweetwater is a little.... disorganized....this week so no pics until next week. I couldn't get a straight story on what the delay was caused by. One minute they had it packed up for shipping, another minute it was being inspected, another time it was ALREADY inspected.

I hope this isn't a sign...

Shouldn't be. I have had stellar service from them on everything (including several EBMM guitars)

Astrofreq

If it's over 20-25% humidity, I wouldn't worry about it one second, especially with a solid body electric. An acoustic is a different story. I live in the desert with 0% humidity almost all year and I still don't worry about my electrics. I may have to file the frets down a bit after it starts acclimating, but not so often at that.

fjk1138

Shouldn't be. I have had stellar service from them on everything (including several EBMM guitars)

Yeah, me also. This is a first.

If it's over 20-25% humidity, I wouldn't worry about it one second, especially with a solid body electric. An acoustic is a different story. I live in the desert with 0% humidity almost all year and I still don't worry about my electrics. I may have to file the frets down a bit after it starts acclimating, but not so often at that.

Wow, 0%...that has to be fun to deal with...?

PS - love the dancing Trooper avatar!

Last edited:

fjk1138

Thought I would close this up by saying it arrived safe and sound but I did let it adjust to the house for a couple of hours before I opened the case since my friend insisted on cranking the AC down to 70°F.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

fjk1138

Thanks.

Duo Jet is still with me for the time being. Trying my best to not sacrifice it to the financial gods!

Astrofreq

Thanks.

Duo Jet is still with me for the time being. Trying my best to not sacrifice it to the financial gods!

I just sold an Ibanez last week that I had owned for 20+ years. I still own a couple of other non-EBMM guitars, but they sure don't get the use that my EB's do.

Top Bottom