• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
While checking the Facebook Marketplace for a used car, I tripped on an ad selling a white Silhouette HSH. Maple fretboard, hardtail, very close to specs of the guitar Keith Richards played on the Steel Wheels tour in 1989. That guitar has haunted me. Off and on I, I would poke around looking for one. Finances and availability never synced up.

I contacted the seller with questions. I bought a car from a local dealer, and drove that car 20 miles into another state to pick up my Silhouette.
Turns out she's a 1997 (per the serial # thread). Seller (showed up in uniform. Army!) got it in 2001 or 2002 best he can recall. Says he never really played it.
I don't know about that. Frets just look tarnished under the strings. No real wear, but I thought they'd be bigger frets over all.

Anyone know if they updated the fretwire over the years?

the pickups are obviously DiMarzios. Would a '97 have PAF Pros? They sound great.

Neck appears to be straight/no warping, body is in 9 out of 10 condition.

Nut has a chunk missing next to the Low E slot, but string stays in the groove (ordered a replacement. May put off installing it).

Action is a wee bit high over the higher frets. An easy tweak.

Not bad for a 20 year old guitar. Not bad at all. Hi

agt

Congrats and welcome!

I have one just like the one you described, but I bought mine in 1996. Great, great guitar! The humbuckers at that time were Dimarzio PAF Pros.

Congrats and welcome!

I have one just like the one you described, but I bought mine in 1996. Great, great guitar! The humbuckers at that time were Dimarzio PAF Pros.

Thanks for confirming the pickups!
I have the guitar set up just about perfect now. I'm super impressed with it. I had some concerns when I was on my way to pick it up: what if I don't like the neck/pickups/whatever?
I needed have worried. The neck shape is perfect. The pickups are great. With fresh strings, the Silhouette rings VERY loudly when you strum it unplugged.
An inspiring guitar, to say the least.

daneford

Congrats! Those are great guitars. This afternoon's practice session was spent on a solo hardtail I have from that era. It's a killer. I really like the pickups on that one.

Top Bottom