• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Twang Banger

Picked up this Starry Night NAMM special, virtually untouched!

It had the pick guard wrapping still on it, zero signs of use. I'll use it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 165
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 199

Twang Banger

Thx. The seller had it on eBay and accepted a pretty low offer. I was lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pott

Got the EXACT same version: hardtail, natural headstock. And it's one of my favorite guitars.
It had to go back to the factory for a bit which was a meh experience, but it's a really great axe. Enjoy yours!

Twang Banger

Got the EXACT same version: hardtail, natural headstock. And it's one of my favorite guitars.
It had to go back to the factory for a bit which was a meh experience, but it's a really great axe. Enjoy yours!

I am curious what the issue was. The joint at the back of the neck does not align well with the body in mine. Was it anything like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pott

No, the nut was way too high. Guitar should never have left the factory like this.
They fixed it but I still had to pay for shipping to the MM factory which I felt wasn't exactly fair.

Thankfully that cost was cheaper than the money expense for a tech to do it, or the time expense for me to fix it. However that's only because I'm not that far from CA in the country-scale of things. Others on the East Coast may not be so lucky.

Given that these were delayed against earlier estimates, by quite a lot (pre-ordered in June for a same-year ETA, got it in March 2017), it was a further blow.

When I got it & got it back the neck was set incorrectly in its pocket and the high E string was fretting-out. I fixed it myself. I forgot to tell them about it so my take on it is:
* MM failed to notice it when doing original Q&A/setup
* Neck shifted in transit, which eh, could happen
* They didn't setup the guitar completely after re-shaping the nut (which would definitely be weird!)

The guitar now plays and sounds fantastically. One of my mains :)

Last edited:

Twang Banger

I really thought MM had better QC than this ... good lord I hope they don't become Fender.

Pott

I really thought MM had better QC than this ... good lord I hope they don't become Fender.

It's virtually all setup issues, more than build quality: it's more forgivable (as it's not structural and can easily be fixed), but still should have been caught.

Twang Banger

Understood, but I am sinply statng that I was under the impression that they really went over these guitars one by one, carefully enough to detect issues. The Starry Night AL I bought has a weird misalignment in between the neck heel and body that is unlike any of the 3 other ALs I own. AllI am saying is I thought QC was better ... nobody is bashing MM ... I love the guitars, just surprised there are issues.

Twang Banger

I might suggest you do not immediately bash MM QC based on one guitar...that has been fixed.

Not bashing, and my concern was not based on just one defective but fixed guitar. It was based in the funky neck heel on mine as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom