• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mariner-aaron

Im sure its been asked before why hasn't the 7 strings expanded past the jp's. Axis for example or other non signature models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohdamnitsdevin

Im sure its been asked before why hasn't the 7 strings expanded past the jp's. Axis for example or other non signature models?

I can't speak to why there hasn't been implementation on extending the range on current models but, I do know that EBMM partnering with Jason Richardson will result in some extended range goodness here soon. Jason primarily plays 7 string guitars and utilized an 8 string on his debut album so I'm fairly confident the JR signatures will be the push MM needs right now to break the extended range market. Perhaps we will see some non signature extended range guitars from them if the demand is high enough? Who knows though.

so far what's to be expected in EBMM extended range line:
Current offerings:
JP7 & Majesty 7

Future offerings:
JR 7, JR 8 and a JP 8

Personally, I hope what differentiates the two lines the most will be their bridge. I know Jason uses his tremolo a lot but, I'd love a fixed bridge shred machine. That's not my call though, that's Jason's.

Last edited:

Mariner-aaron

I love my JP's and i have been very curious about what will come about with the JR series as well.

I have a 8 already that's collecting dust. They're just not my thing tho.. i do admire they capabilities that offer.

Mariner-aaron

Hopefully somewhere down the road we can see line grow. I feel you're correct with the whole demand perspective. EBMM is a creative brand!

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
I'm just gonna throw this out there: aside from some classical 7 strings like Lenny Breau would use there hasn't been a lot of implementation of 7 strings outside of hard rock/metal. For the most part Sterling and Dudley just aren't really into that kind of music so they probably just never considered adding it to one of the non-sigs.

Mariner-aaron

I'm just gonna throw this out there: aside from some classical 7 strings like Lenny Breau would use there hasn't been a lot of implementation of 7 strings outside of hard rock/metal. For the most part Sterling and Dudley just aren't really into that kind of music so they probably just never considered adding it to one of the non-sigs.

Thanks for chiming in Casey! That makes a lot of sense. Maybe one day the other models like the armada or the previous mentioned axis would be cool. Hell the most unique would be a cutlass. You guys don't follow trends you create them and do them on your own terms. Something a respect about the brand. So until then a man can dream!

Bungo

I'm guessing here but unless you are ESP or Jackson etc, then the sales revenue vs the increased cost of producing all the parts for a 7 string (and that's most of them), would not make it a very attractive business proposition?

I would be interested to know how many 7 strings are sold for every 6 string?

Mariner-aaron

I'm guessing here but unless you are ESP or Jackson etc, then the sales revenue vs the increased cost of producing all the parts for a 7 string (and that's most of them), would not make it a very attractive business proposition?

I would be interested to know how many 7 strings are sold for every 6 string?

I would think it's 3 to 1 maybe 4 to 1 ratio. That would be a Sterling or Casey question.

Dead-Eye

I would think it's 3 to 1 maybe 4 to 1 ratio. That would be a Sterling or Casey question.

For every 6-string? I'd be astonished if it's more than 10 to 1.

In fairness EBMM are already making all the parts for a 7-string

Mariner-aaron

For every 6-string? I'd be astonished if it's more than 10 to 1.

In fairness EBMM are already making all the parts for a 7-string

4 six string to every 1 seven string... after thinking about i feel like I'm being way to generous lol.

Stratty316

I would bet 7 strings make up 1-2% of sales. No more. Maybe even less.

I'm guessing that if it weren't for JP wanting and using them EBMM would probably not have ever been in the 7 string market. It's not that big of a space when you really think about it.

Mariner-aaron

Kevin and Stratty it appears as though i may be suffering from a chronic case of wishful thinking lol.

Fro

I'm thinking that the 7 string market is easily less than 1%.

fbecir

Hello

If you go on Thomann website (Thomann is the biggest Internet dealer in Europe), you have several categories of electric guitars.
  • 10 guitars in the Midi / digital guitar category
  • 26 guitars in the 8 strings category
  • 30 guitars in the 12 strings category
  • 37 guitars in the baritone category
  • 112 guitars in the 7 strings category
  • 152 guitars in the Jazz category
  • 245 guitars in the double cut category
  • 288 guitars in the Tele category
  • 306 guitars in the Metal category
  • 443 guitars in the Semiacoustic category
  • 575 guitars in the Les Paul category
  • 627 guitars in the Premium Class category
  • 854 guitars in the Strat category

3705 references ... thus 112 7 Strings guitars means that the 7 strings are just 3% of the market.

In a perfect capitalist world, supply = demand :rolleyes:

Bungo

Hello

If you go on Thomann website (Thomann is the biggest Internet dealer in Europe), you have several categories of electric guitars.
  • 10 guitars in the Midi / digital guitar category
  • 26 guitars in the 8 strings category
  • 30 guitars in the 12 strings category
  • 37 guitars in the baritone category
  • 112 guitars in the 7 strings category
  • 152 guitars in the Jazz category
  • 245 guitars in the double cut category
  • 288 guitars in the Tele category
  • 306 guitars in the Metal category
  • 443 guitars in the Semiacoustic category
  • 575 guitars in the Les Paul category
  • 627 guitars in the Premium Class category
  • 854 guitars in the Strat category

3705 references ... thus 112 7 Strings guitars means that the 7 strings are just 3% of the market.

In a perfect capitalist world, supply = demand :rolleyes:

I think I'm past the point of over-analysing this, but presumably some guitars may appear in more than one category? E.G some of the 'Metal' guitars may also be 7 stringers etc?

fbecir

I think I'm past the point of over-analysing this, but presumably some guitars may appear in more than one category? E.G some of the 'Metal' guitars may also be 7 stringers etc?

That's certainly true, but I don't think it's changing this rough estimation of the 7-strings market.
Besides, you have one reference for each color. Thus, for the same Strat, you will have several colors. With the 7 strings guitars, it's easier : the guitar are black or black :rolleyes:. Fordism and heavy metal can be pretty similar sometimes ...

Top Bottom