• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

epitaph04

Recently I aquired a bongo 5 Hp with the understanding that the single H bongo basses have only a 3 band EQ. This one however, has a 4 band EQ. I guess the piezo single H models were all like that.

My question is, for those that have used both the 3 band and 4 band EQ single h bongo models, is there a discernible difference tonewise between the two? Obviously theres one less band of EQ, but I wonder if the tone is any different from the two aside from that.

Thank you!

oddjob

Recently I aquired a bongo 5 Hp with the understanding that the single H bongo basses have only a 3 band EQ. This one however, has a 4 band EQ. I guess the piezo single H models were all like that.

My question is, for those that have used both the 3 band and 4 band EQ single h bongo models, is there a discernible difference tonewise between the two? Obviously theres one less band of EQ, but I wonder if the tone is any different from the two aside from that.

Thank you!

The P adds a different dimension altogether. I think, taking the P out of the equation, you are asking about 3 vs 4 band? The 4 band lets you get into some deep crevices of sonic profile but is more complex. The 3 is nice simplicity that can still level an entire city block. I like the 4 band (and think you truly benefit) with the P just for the high/low mid controls. It gives you the shaping tools that I think the P kinda needs. BUT, IMO (which is worth next to nothing) I love the 3 band for just the H (it is easy to dial in and you aren't miss too much more since the P isn't there). Tone wise, (taking the P out of the equation) they are similar beasts.

Since you have an Hp... you have the right eq and you aren't "missing" out on the Bongo magic :)

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Does this bass have the two concentric knobs? I'm thinking yours is still a 3 band but needs another knob to control piezo volume.

epitaph04

Does this bass have the two concentric knobs? I'm thinking yours is still a 3 band but needs another knob to control piezo volume.

I no longer have it but it had (from left to right, playing POV) a master volume, a piezo/magnetic blend knob, and then the two concentric knobs, which to my ear sounded like (left to right once more) low mid/high mid, and bass/treble, just like my bongo 6 H/S.

Top Bottom