• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Onirb

I was fortunate to travel to Japan in June and was on the look out for an Axis Ex. Guitar stores over there are unbelievable. I saw a couple varying from beat up to ok condition then I came across something unexpected. EVH stoptail.

n8wX3SD.jpg

Below one was drilled multiple times for strap locks.
ak1B3Sj.jpg

0MLJOFq.jpg

Yes I bought it.
n0Jcj7v.jpg

Z3YeVB8.jpg

kimonostereo

Nice find! Yeah, Japan's guitar shops are really great. There are so many American vintage guitars there that it almost makes me think that they may have the lions share of them.

See if EMBB will sell you a replacement switch for your hardtail to get it back to full stock hardware.

Onirb

Nice find! Yeah, Japan's guitar shops are really great. There are so many American vintage guitars there that it almost makes me think that they may have the lions share of them.

See if EMBB will sell you a replacement switch for your hardtail to get it back to full stock hardware.

Yes I already contacted them and the toggle is being replaced right now. I could have done it but I wanted done professionally.

dibart77

Hey Onirb:

I sent you a PM about Tokyo but maybe you didn't see it. I guess it doesn't need to be a PM -- others here might be interested in the answers:

Pretty killer score! I am heading to Tokyo in Nov and CAN'T WAIT to check the guitar shops! Can I ask some questions?

1) So that EVH hardtail was labeled 220000 Yen. Which is around $2000 USD. What did you end up paying? Did they negotiate? If you don't mind my asking... (or you can PM me the answer, LOL).

2) Are you in the US? Any issues with customs, or did the "MADE IN SLO, CALIFORNIA, USA" on the headstock make it a non-issue (bringing in a US-made item)? Did you have them ship it to you, or did you carry it home?

3) Which stores did you find to be the coolest for EBMMs? Did you use one of the "guide to guitar shops in Tokyo" that you can find if you google, or did you just go to that neighborhood and wing it? If you used a guide, which one?

Thanks!

Onirb

Hey Onirb:

I sent you a PM about Tokyo but maybe you didn't see it. I guess it doesn't need to be a PM -- others here might be interested in the answers:

Pretty killer score! I am heading to Tokyo in Nov and CAN'T WAIT to check the guitar shops! Can I ask some questions?

1) So that EVH hardtail was labeled 220000 Yen. Which is around $2000 USD. What did you end up paying? Did they negotiate? If you don't mind my asking... (or you can PM me the answer, LOL).

2) Are you in the US? Any issues with customs, or did the "MADE IN SLO, CALIFORNIA, USA" on the headstock make it a non-issue (bringing in a US-made item)? Did you have them ship it to you, or did you carry it home?

3) Which stores did you find to be the coolest for EBMMs? Did you use one of the "guide to guitar shops in Tokyo" that you can find if you google, or did you just go to that neighborhood and wing it? If you used a guide, which one?

Thanks!

I responded to his pm last night for those who want to know how it got to the US. Here is the excerpt. It is currently at shop that I trust getting the toggle put in.

"I did have the guitar shipped because I bought it after I returned home I wanted to make sure it was real. When I saw the guitar I had a day left in Japan and I was waiting to hear on the serial number and to make sure the tuners were correct. I knew the toggle was replaced so I had concerns about the rest of the parts. After reaching out to multiple people I decided the rest of the guitar was legit so I bought it. Then the fun started. It was shipped via Japan priority mail 7/3/17 and after it cleared US customs it went to the Jamaica,NY USPS distribution center and was scanned and disappeared on 7/6/17. I filed lost reports and got a run around from everywhere saying the label must have fell off to it was stolen. So after 3 weeks of this my son said post something on their twitter account. I basically said the usps sucks and a rep contacted me. He tried his hardest and couldn't track it then as a last resort he contacted the lost mail center and with in 2 days it was found. So after 40 days with the US mail I received it and nothing was wrong with it. "

Top Bottom