• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
A few things have to fall exactly into place for this to happen, so I'm crossing all my fingers, half my toes and some other bits.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
A few things have to fall exactly into place for this to happen, so I'm crossing all my fingers, half my toes and some other bits.

I think at least one of those things should be resolved in the very near future. ;)

41hz

Craig Young won't shut up and now I want a Cutlass.

He is so HATEFUL.

Anywhere I can read what he said? I have been searching for more info on this bass. Would love to hear how it sounds with flats like Chromes.

Also looking for more info on finding the coral red one.

bovinehost

Administrator
No, mostly he harangues me in private conversations. You do NOT want to get involved in those, believe me.

And now he's on about the 30th SR5.

It's madness.

41hz

No, mostly he harangues me in private conversations. You do NOT want to get involved in those, believe me.

And now he's on about the 30th SR5.

It's madness.

He has great taste in basses then. The 30th got me back into looking at EBs. I don't bass shop very often but I saw that and then I saw all the other killer finishes on the rays, sat down and played some and was sold by the quality of them.

The EB 5 strings are my favorites. I love the tight spacing and modern sound. But that being said, my favorite tonal characteristic is warmth, and that is something I really can get with a passive Pbass and flats.

So seeing this Cutlass really has grabbed me. It seems like the perfect Pbass for a player who likes to do more than just "hold it down". It seems like there are not too many out in the wild, and they don't seem to have many paint job options for it yet, which is a bummer. But I wish there were more demos of it, especially with flats.

bovinehost

Administrator
He has great taste in basses then.

I can safely say this: "Yes, he does." If you want to hear a prime example of Craig playing a regular old Stingray and getting away with murder on a hit single, check out that first big Jewel single. And you can just TELL it's a Stingray.

The EB 5 strings are my favorites. I love the tight spacing and modern sound. But that being said, my favorite tonal characteristic is warmth, and that is something I really can get with a passive Pbass and flats.

So seeing this Cutlass really has grabbed me. It seems like the perfect Pbass for a player who likes to do more than just "hold it down". It seems like there are not too many out in the wild, and they don't seem to have many paint job options for it yet, which is a bummer. But I wish there were more demos of it, especially with flats.

I have a Cutlass coming this week, but I can say with some degree of authority that there ain't nothing like a Music Man bass with flats. Waaaaay back in the 90s, I strung a Stingray 5 with flats and the online bass community thought I'd lost my mind. I hadn't. Then I strung SR4s with flats ('you've neutered it!' etc) and Sterlings and eventually Bongos. Those forum members who've been brave and strong and true enough to try it will tell you: it just kills. You don't need no stinkin' P bass. (Unless you want one, I'm a fan of playing what you want.)

My Caprice is strung with Cobalt flats. Talk about the best of both worlds. These strings - I have no words. They feel like flats, but have all the harmonic content of rounds, if that's what you like. They can also be dialed down to sound like flats. If I had two months free, I'd string all my basses with 'em. I will put them on my incoming Cutlass immediately.

My band is recording a live album on September 30th and I'll be using the Cutlass and the Caprice if all goes well, so we'll have some examples of EBMM passives strung with Cobalt flats. Meanwhile, if you'd like, youtube "coWpilot" and there's a bunch of stuff from the album we did last year, all recorded with various EBMM basses (Bongo and Big Al, mostly) strung with EB flats.

Good luck!

41hz

I can safely say this: "Yes, he does." If you want to hear a prime example of Craig playing a regular old Stingray and getting away with murder on a hit single, check out that first big Jewel single. And you can just TELL it's a Stingray.

I have a Cutlass coming this week, but I can say with some degree of authority that there ain't nothing like a Music Man bass with flats. Waaaaay back in the 90s, I strung a Stingray 5 with flats and the online bass community thought I'd lost my mind. I hadn't. Then I strung SR4s with flats ('you've neutered it!' etc) and Sterlings and eventually Bongos. Those forum members who've been brave and strong and true enough to try it will tell you: it just kills. You don't need no stinkin' P bass. (Unless you want one, I'm a fan of playing what you want.)

My Caprice is strung with Cobalt flats. Talk about the best of both worlds. These strings - I have no words. They feel like flats, but have all the harmonic content of rounds, if that's what you like. They can also be dialed down to sound like flats. If I had two months free, I'd string all my basses with 'em. I will put them on my incoming Cutlass immediately.

My band is recording a live album on September 30th and I'll be using the Cutlass and the Caprice if all goes well, so we'll have some examples of EBMM passives strung with Cobalt flats. Meanwhile, if you'd like, youtube "coWpilot" and there's a bunch of stuff from the album we did last year, all recorded with various EBMM basses (Bongo and Big Al, mostly) strung with EB flats.

Good luck!

Damn you have inspired me. I may have to put Chromes on my Ray Classic asap. That could be the game changer for me with the bass. Don't get me wrong, I love it already, but active basses and I have never been totally in love. The higher output throws off my gain staging when I switch to them and it always sounds a little more modern and snappy then I like. I think my hands create that snap already, so it can be too much with an active bass.

I definitely love the Pbass just because it sits so well in the mix for me. But I also can mix the Ray fine. It just gets used on sessions where the bass needs to be tight and punchy (house, uptempo, stuff like that).

I have tried a lot of flats and Chromes are my personal grail string, so Ill probably just throw some of them on the Ray and see how it goes. It's a great idea and probably something I should have done a while back honestly.

Really enjoyed your tunes (playing now) and I look forward to your thoughts on the Cutlass. The Caprice I have played and it's amazing. The tone is so good, but not my personal thing or I would already have one. I am more of a one pickup guy - I like simplicity. Even my Ray is set up the same and I barely ever touch the EQ knobs. - bass a little above the middle and treble a little below. Gets that Sade sound.

Anyway, the Cutlass intrigues me - a lot. And so does flats on the Ray. Will try and report back on that.

kinopah

Yeah I love cobalt flats on my Cutlass.
Perfect combination of tone and tension. I kinda wish I had a rw fingerboard, just for variety (my SR's have maple and ebony), but I love everything about it. Sounds SUPER great with the tone down and lightly muted. Wish I had a decent setup for recording a demo. I need to put my little home studio back together.

41hz

Yeah I love cobalt flats on my Cutlass.
Perfect combination of tone and tension. I kinda wish I had a rw fingerboard, just for variety (my SR's have maple and ebony), but I love everything about it. Sounds SUPER great with the tone down and lightly muted. Wish I had a decent setup for recording a demo. I need to put my little home studio back together.

Sweet. I really want one. A really light Pbass with a fast neck and easy upper fret access is super appealing.

I hear the tone is a touch different than a Fender P as well.

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
I can say with some degree of authority that there ain't nothing like a Music Man bass with flats. Waaaaay back in the 90s, I strung a Stingray 5 with flats and the online bass community thought I'd lost my mind. I hadn't. Then I strung SR4s with flats ('you've neutered it!' etc) and Sterlings and eventually Bongos. Those forum members who've been brave and strong and true enough to try it will tell you: it just kills.

I would be one of those.... I totally thought Jack was silly put flats on an EBMM... then back in about oh 2003, I tried it. I remember I had to call him on the phone and apologize because he was right and I was ever so wrong. I have not been the same since. About EBMM, flatwound bass strings and women... Jack was and is right.

I have 9 basses and 6 of them are EBMM (with two more on order). Of the 9 basses I have, I have rounds on two and they will both switch over when my two new EBMM's arrive.

It just works.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I would be one of those.... I totally thought Jack was silly put flats on an EBMM... then back in about oh 2003, I tried it. I remember I had to call him on the phone and apologize because he was right and I was ever so wrong. I have not been the same since. About EBMM, flatwound bass strings and women... Jack was and is right.

I have 9 basses and 6 of them are EBMM (with two more on order). Of the 9 basses I have, I have rounds on two and they will both switch over when my two new EBMM's arrive.

It just works.

I thought flats were only for fretless basses in the 90's. I liked them but didn't have skill to play it, or, not well...

Bought the Dargie Bongo 5H Jack posted recently, it arrived today. The first thing I did after putting it down was email him to ask what strings they were. I'm totally hooked now. I'll be ordering some for the SR by Friday.

bovinehost

Administrator
Get the Cobalts, Wim, get the Cobalts! God, I love those strings. (And Craig Young wouldn't shut up about THOSE, either.)

Glad you like the Bongo!

Top Bottom