• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

skisquash

Senior moment...when did the Axis Super Sport switch from chrome knobs to plastic knobs?

I looked at the old catalogs and webpages, but don't see anything definitive.

I don't quite remember but I think that chrome knobs were optional on the piezo versions.

beej

I believe they were standard on the piezo models. But the non-piezos have always had the plastic knobs.

A.J.

Beej is right. Sports had chrome knobs standard too.

skisquash

I've seen old Sports without the chrome knobs. So not sure. I don't think it was standard. Maybe related to the Piezo, but just didn't get listed on the marketing material or website.

skisquash

I've just somewhere that the predecessor, the Axis Sport, in early builds did come with chrome knobs but they did not have maple tops or binding. (not sure how true this is)

beej

As AJ said, Sports did come standard with metal knobs. (Regardless, a pretty easy fix to swap whatever knobs you want.)

Sports did not have maple tops or binding. Super Sports did. (One of several minor differences.)

skisquash

Thanks beej and AJ.

Also an interesting tidbit from a designer during '99 just said EB/MM has always used Tele knobs on the Axis Piezo models because these chrome tele knobs are smaller diameter than the plastic strat knobs and allow for a tighter control spacing with three knobs.

Appreciated your help clarifying.

Top Bottom