• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hyghtm

Hello all, new to the forum. Bought a Valentine and love it, looking to buy a Cutlass. But...
Really frustrating that customers can't choose guitar/pick-guard color combinations, maple v rosewood necks, I'm talking about colors and items that are already part of the model's standard equipment. Like I'd LOVE a black Cutlass w/black pick guard and a maple neck. Not an option, though those items are on others in the same line. It's a shame. I'd pay more just for options like that.
Another great one would be a white on white Cutlass with the Birdseye roasted maple neck. Those necks are EBMM's best IMHO, though not part of the Cutlass standard equipment

hyghtm

Tollywood

Hello and welcome to the forum. :cool:

While I agree that it would be awesome to be able to order whatever we dream of, it's also fun to watch for the many special runs that are released, hoping for that perfect combination. There are special releases coming out very soon:

Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

You can also order a different pickguard and swap it out yourself.

Good luck!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Up until just a few years ago, each model had many color options, fretboard option, pickguard options, piezo option, matching headstock options. The total number of combinations across the bass and guitar lines was in the multiple thousands. As the business grew, certain models and colors dominated sales, other models were almost never custom ordered and only ordered by stores in the standard options that sell easily, and new guitar models came on stream, it didn't make sense to keep that many options and such a huge stock of paint of pickguards just sitting there.

Yeah, it was a sad day for us here on the forum when they announced that so many options, and one or two guitar models, were culled but hey, if they ran the business the way we wanted them to they'd have filled a dumpster with green guitars and closed the factory years ago! :D

hyghtm

Yeah, it was a sad day for us here on the forum when they announced that so many options, and one or two guitar models, were culled but hey, if they ran the business the way we wanted them to they'd have filled a dumpster with green guitars and closed the factory years ago! :D[/QUOTE]

That's understanadable. But I'm thinking more along the lines of them not building a guitar/pickguard color and neck combo any different from the catalog pictures until it's actually ordered, and paid for. Like Hardee's used to do burgers, they don't cook em til you order them. That way there's no unsold oddball inventory piling up.

BrickGlass

I agree with the op, but it is what it is, and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. EBMM are going to run the business the way they see fit.

beej

But I'm thinking more along the lines of them not building a guitar/pickguard color and neck combo any different from the catalog pictures until it's actually ordered, and paid for. Like Hardee's used to do burgers, they don't cook em til you order them. That way there's no unsold oddball inventory piling up.
That's exactly how they used to do it. How they still do ... instruments are built to order, so there's no stock sitting around in the factory.

The issue is that with so many instruments, there are over a hundred thousand build codes that need to be communicated to all corners of the globe and supported. Gets complicated quickly. So they streamlined things by limiting each instrument to the most popular configurations.

As Kev said ... there are lots of things we all love, but that just don't sell.

Magic Jason

I agree with the op, but it is what it is, and there doesn't seem to be much we can do about it. EBMM are going to run the business the way they see fit.

They seem to run their business succesfully. :)

And as far as I respect and understand their choices, I'd be so happy if the AL was offered in a gazilion different and amazing finishes such as the Majesty!

Astrofreq

I can easily see both sides on this. While I understand the need to not have a million option combinations the already vast amount of models available by EBMM, the Cutlass is the model I was looking at and thinking the same thing. I can wait until colors I dig more are created, but if the only option is a rosewood neck, it's immediately off my radar. (and I really wanted one too). lol :)

hyghtm

I can easily see both sides on this. While I understand the need to not have a million option combinations the already vast amount of models available by EBMM, the Cutlass is the model I was looking at and thinking the same thing. I can wait until colors I dig more are created, but if the only option is a rosewood neck, it's immediately off my radar. (and I really wanted one too). lol :)

Exactly- I can't stand rosewood necks. Don't care for the white pick guard with the black body, and so far, no aftermarket pick guards are available for the Cutlass yet. So I'll wait. The guitars are certainly worth it.

TripHazard

You can buy Cutlass pickguards direct from music-man, or if you want wilder ones pickguard heaven so them. Musicman will sell you mint, white, tort and possibly black as there is a black one on the new BFR which is an ash body in natural finish with full rosewood neck and white binding. A combo I'd kill for

Big Poppa

Trust me...it's like when my wife argues with the gps...there are more reasons to simplify than not.

It's so hard to offer everything to everyone. It becomes a one off shop. If you notice the Cutlass and Stingray are priced lower.
Dealers wait up to six months and finally get the guitar and the customer doesnt buy it because they want other options so the dealer stops stocking our stuff...

We are trying to make great stuff and have so many models and still struggle to break even. Thank god for Slinky's

Magic Jason

Trust me...it's like when my wife argues with the gps...there are more reasons to simplify than not.

It's so hard to offer everything to everyone. It becomes a one off shop. If you notice the Cutlass and Stingray are priced lower.
Dealers wait up to six months and finally get the guitar and the customer doesnt buy it because they want other options so the dealer stops stocking our stuff...

We are trying to make great stuff and have so many models and still struggle to break even. Thank god for Slinky's

Don't change a thing!

Although I'd like more colours my AL's are the best guitar I've ever played and truly make my life better!

hyghtm

I think most people are missing my point. I'm not talking about EBMM offering all conceivable colors and combinations. I just mean it'd be nice if we could choose colors of guitar bodies and pickguards already offered in the same model's line. But I understand not doing even that is more simple. But I'll say, if I could pre-pay and order a black Cutlass with a black pickguard and maple neck, I'd do it today. But nope. Just sayin. 😩

Top Bottom