• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Birddogcof

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time posting. I have been searching for a great Stingray for awhile. Now I finally found a few I like.

First is a 2011 Tobacco Sunburst with Maple neck and is a 4H. Priced at $875 shipped to me.

Other is a 2015 4HH Stealth model. Priced at $1250. shipped to me.

Both are in near mint and look amazing. Of course I cannot play them as they are far away. Which would you purchase? I can try to post pics later. Thanks for your input.

armybass

Colonial Heights, Virginia, United States
I'd go with the 4H first. It's the classic that you must have first in your Stingray collection anyway and if you want to learn slap bass.... well bubba that's the bass it happens on. The H model will facilitate slap style easier as the Front H is not there to crowd your developing technique.

kinopah

Stealths always look a bit "metal" to me. Like my first and favorite StingRay is a black/maple, but something about that monochrome is just "too black". Always thought if I got one I'd have to put some kind of white decal on the pickguard to offset it.

Regardless, I agree that the 4H is the way to go. EBMM gateway drug. People blather on about how it has one specific sound, but I actually find it pretty versatile. And yeah, you'll feel like Louis Johnson slapping it.

Edmang

We all have issues deciding which bass to get...

Correct answer is get both! :)

I would say get the HH if you only got one. It is more versatile and has more options. I also think it actually be better to learn to slap on that. You won't get used to having a lot of open space available and develop habits you would have to work around if in the future you did get an HH and wanted to slap on that.

JayDawg

Rock, Christian, and really wanna learn slap.

Welcome to the forum. I also play a lot of rock and Christian music. A majority of my career has been in the Christian rock scene. Out of the two choices listed, I would jump all over the Stingray 4H. I am preferable to the single H configuration. Since 2010, I have bought approximately 20 Music Man basses and still own 6. I have played and owned both the single H and double H configurations. Out of the 6 Music Man basses I own, all but 1 are in the single H configuration. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I purchased a Guitar Center Exclusive Bongo 5HH in barolo metallic purple with a roasted maple neck and black hardware. Because it was a GC Exclusive, I had no options available to buy it in a single H configuration. Plus, I think EBMM got rid of single H 5 string Bong’s for some reason unbeknownst to me but beknownst to the folks at EBMM.

The other thing too is the stealth SR will have a slightly different tone due to it having a painted neck. But the stealth models do look amazing.

Good luck with the purchase. I’m confident that no matter what EBMM you get, you will be happy. Playing the same stuff you do, or at least similar, I have been very very pleased with every EBMM bass and guitar that I have ever owned.

Tollywood

... I have been very very pleased with every EBMM bass and guitar that I have ever owned.

+1 Jay

I am loving their passive Volume Pedal, too. You guys have to check one out. It's a very smooth pedal. You will immediately buy one.

Top Bottom