• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

eoinb

Which DIY cleaner for fretboard of 2007 Silhouette Special?

Hi all!

Recently I finally pulled the trigger on my first MIA guitar , a used Silhouette Special was on sale at a good price nearby.

Had been stalking Silhouette Specials for a while and am delighted with it. She's special no doubt !

The previous user sure did play it alot as the fretboard is pretty dirty, changing strings now so going to clean fingerboard aswell... but what cleaner to use?

Just a word of warning, we're in Ireland here so don't have access to the oft quoted Murphy's oil soap....despite the product's name being Irish...must be Murphy's Law eh?

I guess the real question is what type of finish is on the fingerboard. Know there's gunstock oil on the neck, but don't know if it's the same on the fretboard...Couldn't find any definitive answer on Ernie Ball's literature/Specs for the SS.

After that it's just question of what cleaner would be best for the finish. Preferably a DIY cleaner / something that can be got in hardware store etc , so that would rule out the EB Wipes too.

Would really appreciate your help on this, haven't been able to find definitive answer on the forums. Also appreciate that alot of players like to leave the Maple dirty... Different strokes for different folks!

BTW Do have access to Zippo lighter fluid and Sugar Soap.

Here she is anyway , can take up close photos of fretboard and upload if it helps :)

Screenshot_2017-10-07-17-08-42.jpg

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Howiya Eoin! Welcome to the forum family and congrats on a beautiful find!

Folks here have had best results with "barkeepers friend". It's a cleaning product in powder form that contains oxalic acid, often used to make stainless steel saucepans look almost like new. Google says you can buy it Ireland.

Here is the thread where forum member kimonostereo tried it out. Photobucket won't let us see the images alas but it did a good job. Follow the instructions.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-b...-stains-maple-neck-post998175.html#post998175

Top Bottom