• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

cbc83

Hello, new to the forum - and EBMM guitars.

I haven't been playing much the last 12 years or so, so my trusty '96 Parker Fly Deluxe has served me well. But for all that time, since I saw Live Scenes from New York, I've lusted after a classic JP6 (and I'd gotten used to having a piezo on the Parker, so it seemed perfect). Suddenly, the perfect guitar was for sale at a stupidly good price - even without JP inlays, which I never loved. So here it is, I think its from roughly 2005 or 2006, a JP6 with matching headstock and piezo in graphite pearl:

jp6.jpg

Its a wonderful guitar, a very different beast from my Parker (weighs twice as much, thicker neck, but sounds amazing).

I did get it at a severely reduced price for a reason, hence my first question: It has a fairly nasty ding on the upper horn - any idea if/how it can be fixed, or at least improved, without a total refinish? Picture:

jp6 ding.jpg

Also, the guitar has been sitting in its case for 5 years - the fretboard looks okay, and the neck is dirty, but I figure it could use a little love. I have lemon oil for the fretboard and ordered some tru-oil for the neck - anything else I'd need? I dont have access to Wonder Wipes here, nor the recommended brands of oil cleaner and wax. EDIT: I found Wonder Wipes and ordered a few packs, so I'm sorted there - any need for wax after the tru-oil?

In any case, glad to finally be a part of the MusicMan family!

Regards, Carsten from Denmark

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

Congratulations and happy playing Carsten!!

You could check out the Dunlop series for cleaning and conditioning your fretboard.

ohbugger

Congrats on the guitar, Carsten. I had a similar situation of finally picking up one of the original JP models that I had been wanting ever since they came out, and it has gotten me back into playing more consistently after years away.

My thoughts on the finish chip, from the perspective of the son of a retired custom painter:
The metallic (I believe that is the correct term) finishes are difficult to repair and blend new into old. You may try contacting Music Man customer service to see if they can share the formulation for that color, and then try finding a custom paint / automotive repair shop that could mix up a new batch in a compatible type of paint. They would feather the edges where the finish has chipped off and sand out from it to try blending when they spray. It is an art, no doubt. You would still likely be able to tell if you look closely, but if you can find the right person to do the work it just may save you from taking the guitar apart for a full re-spray.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Last edited:

cbc83

Congratulations and happy playing Carsten!!

You could check out the Dunlop series for cleaning and conditioning your fretboard.

Actually, I just found a store in Germany that ships WonderWipes for cheap - bought a buttload of them, so I should be sorted :)

Top Bottom