• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GregP

And while I do not in any way disagree with the above post, I also feel it's my duty to mention the Cutlass.

Would you mind sharing your perception of the tonal difference between the split pickup on the Cutlass compared to the Caprice?

When I solo the split on my Caprice it sounds very open and natural. Then when I bring in the bridge pickup I get all this phenomenal harmonic content. It's for that reason I think, that I've never been able to be satisfied with a bass that only has 1 split coil pickup. The bridge pickup just makes a good thing...even better. :)

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
What is the difference between a Stingray neck vs a Caprice one? Are they similar?

Similar in that they are long wooden things? Yes.

I'd say the Caprice is more in the Sterling family of long wooden things.

The Caprice neck is a bit rounder around back with a slimmer fretboard.

The Cutlass is flatter around back and has more of a Stingray style fretboard.

These are human observations and you might feel differently about the whole shebang, but a few of us discussed this the other night (me, Armybass, Craig Young) and I think we came to a consensus.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

GregP

The Caprice's neck profile and fretboard radius are identical to the Sterling Classic. Which reminds me, I would love for EBMM to bring that bass back... only this time with the Sterling's 3 way selector. I'm not sure why that was removed for the classic model. It's one of the best features of the Sterling, IMHO.

GregP

I like it even more today! The bass is just amazing. Plays like a dream and sounds glorious.

So glad you dig it! It's literally been the bass I've been waiting for EBMM to make since I first tried their basses all those years ago at their warped tour booth when I was a teenager. :) Nothing beats an EBMM satin neck :)

bovinehost

Administrator
I've been stuck in the Cutlass since it arrived. Last night, poured myself a vodka, fired up some interesting music and grabbed the Caprice.

Now I kind of want the Caprice electronics in a Cutlass body. It's always something, isn't it?

GregP

I've been stuck in the Cutlass since it arrived. Last night, poured myself a vodka, fired up some interesting music and grabbed the Caprice.

Now I kind of want the Caprice electronics in a Cutlass body. It's always something, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is :)
The more time I've spent w/my Caprice the more I fall in love with it. If your the kind of player that loves the classic PJ config but wants more output while retaining vintage tonality...the Caprice is the ticket. The Caprice gives you that classic PJ tone...only better. The best way I can describe it's tone is "Robust Vintage".

So often when a pickup is designed for higher output it's at the expense of warmth and clarity. The pickup's tonality becomes more harsh and aggressive. The genius of the Caprice's pickup design, is you get the higher output without sacrificing any of the warmth or clarity. And all of this without an active circuit.
#RobustVintage
#CanWeGetAFretless ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom