• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

holeshot1982

None of my local stores carry them but we rode up to Atlanta to a nice store (Atlanta Discount Music) that doesn't mind what you try out. They had 3 EVH Wolfgang Specials. Now I know the quality of those are not the same as a USA made one but it would good enough for a comparison to my '96 Axis.... There is no comparison!!!

The Axis beat it hands down! The body just felt all wrong, didn't like those EVH volume pots at all. The neck was fat.... and I mean F.A.T.!!!! That was cool cause I like fatter necks and it had a nice radius to it. I do like the Wolfgang pickups and currently have one in a Ibanez Voyager that I have... But they don't compare to the ones in the Axis to me. I'm really hoping for the chance to play one of the higher end USA models one day but until this, this is all I had to compare and I'm glad I chose Ernie Ball....

As a side note, they had one of the new EVH 5150 stripped guitars that was just released.... I actually loved it and I don't say that about guitar made from Mexico!! The neck felt really good and body was amazing! I would have took it home but it had a price tag of like 1399!! No way it was worth that much, I would have went 800 but I wasn't about to try and insult the owners by haggling that low. They were nice people and had a lot of high end amps that I've only dreamed of playing. Sadly I walked away empty handed. I'm starting to think I just can't find anything in a music store anymore and will just have to stick to Reverb/eBay.

Spudmurphy

Well, "horses for courses" as they say. Some people must like them?

But in a poll, I would not be at all surprised if the MM EVH came top (by a long way too!)

Too much snobbery where guitars are made. I bought a £240 guitar - a Fender Jag modern "crafted in China" what an awesome guitar that is for the money.

My son has a European guitar sub £100 - I have set it up nice for him - but honestly, what a great guitar.

I remember when I started playing live in 1974 -with a Les Paul - people would turn around, nod to their mate saying "yes - it's a real one". Now they are common as muck lol. I guess it is nice to have gear like that, when you play on stage - similar I guess to being seen in clothes with a recognised/branded label?

Nowadays I'm past caring and will play anything - as long as it "floats my boat" - but in reality, live, I usually play my LEAL.

Last edited:

holeshot1982

Oh I wasn't slamming the EVH company themselves (own a EVHIII and love it), I was just saying they didn't compare to the Musicman models. I do tend to stay way from cheaper made guitars from manufacturer's. (OLP, Squier, Epiphone) But having said that, I do own a Epipi Sheraton and love it. Slowly upgrading its components. And own several Japan guitars, '95 FotoFlame Strat, a 72 thinline tele reissue, and a Ibanez Voyager. Awesome guitars, so USA guitar aren't the only top dogs....

Oh and yeah, some people must like'em cause they're trying to take on Gibson and think they're doing pretty good. And it helps to have the "EVH" stamped on the headstock.

Jamie M

I have a Musicman EVH and EVH Wolfgang. Both are great guitars. I love them both, the MM EVH has the collectability factor and history but I would not say it is massively better then the Wolfgang.

kimonostereo

Interesting feedback. There are some folks that ♥ the EVH Wolfgang. Still have my EBMM EVH but like playing my Axis Tribute more for some reason.

Since you said you tried the EVH 5150, could you tell me if the neck profile was similar to the Axis or was it different?

W

W.Suitor

There is nothing more elegant, timeless and functional than the 4+2 EBMM headstock! It is a thing of great beauty! It is design perfection to me! In my personal opinion, based on this alone, none of EVH's subsequent signature models have ever matched the EBMM for me! Much like Leo Fender with the Tele and the Strat, EBMM and Mr VH got it right first time with the EVH guitar!

Razzle

Bought a Peavey Wolfgang one... sold it. Not exactly sure, it just. wasn't right.

Last edited:

spychocyco

Since you said you tried the EVH 5150, could you tell me if the neck profile was similar to the Axis or was it different?

The neck profile is definitely not the same, but going from one to the other, I don't think the shape and size is jarringly different as it would be say, going from an Axis to a PRS or LP. The Axis neck, IMO, is far superior in feel (to anything else I've ever played for that matter). That said, I haven't played any of the top-end EVHs, only the sub-1K models.

I also second Spud. I own guitars ranging from my two Axis models at the top to a $100 Washburn at the bottom and there are really good ones at every price range. None of the lower models equal the Axis for sure, but I've got a Squier HM model that I bought for $180 at a pawn shop that I play several times a week, while I've got a $1,400 LP that mostly sits in its case. It's really about finding guitars that work best for you.

kimonostereo

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping it was close to the Axis neck profile since the 5150 was what the EVH/Axis neck was supposedly modeled from. I agree, nothing really beats the EVH/Axis neck for me. I still remember the very first time I got to play a EVH back in the early 90's and that neck pretty much ruined all other guitars for me.

Was seriously thinking of picking up a 5150 but now, I might just build one from Musikraft parts if the neck isn't close.

Top Bottom