• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

engage757

Ok, what are all the Stingrays with ebony boards? How about Roasted necks? Determining I love EBony, and Roasted neck are sooooo Nice. :D . Need to get them all. :D

tbonesullivan

I'm trying to determine whether I want to try out a Neck-through stingray or not. I used to have a 4H in Lava pearl, and currently have two Stingray 5s. Most of my non EBMM basses are also bolt ons, and havent' really had the opportunity to try out basses that are otherwise identical except for the neck joint construction.

engage757

I will tell you this, I am not the biggest fan of neck-thru Stingrays personally and here is why. I love that snappy response of the bolt-on I have been playing since I was a kid. I inadvertently have become "old school" I guess. Now, that being said, my Neck-thru is heavier than any Stingray I own, but it SOUNDS unreal. Seriously, it has a pissed-off snarl that is unlike any other bass I have heard. For this reason, I love it. DEFINITELY try one if you get the opportunity. I wish I could describe how OBVIOUSLY angry tonally this bass is.

tbonesullivan

It does look like EBMM made some changes to the preamp on the neck through, so maybe that's part of it. Also the maple neck all the way through definitely would add to that. I kinda wish they had a 5 string version, though lately I'm playing more 4 string.

engage757

It does look like EBMM made some changes to the preamp on the neck through, so maybe that's part of it. Also the maple neck all the way through definitely would add to that. I kinda wish they had a 5 string version, though lately I'm playing more 4 string.

Didn't know about the preamp change! Dangit, that might explain a lot. I just hurt my back and my band is very, shall we say, ACTIVE (?) live, so I am appreciating the lighter basses right now when I do something stupid like huck myself off a drum riser.

Wonder why there hasn't been a 5-string neck-thru yet? Maybe they are just testing the waters to gauge interest?

tbonesullivan

The website says "The newly designed preamp provides a full and robust tonality while retaining excellent clarity and crisp attack. "

I guess they wanted something that would make it sound more like the classic, but still retain the differences of neck through construction.

All of my Non EBMM basses are Carvin, but only 2 out of 5 are neck through. I always find myself playing the bolt-ons.

tbonesullivan

oops! guess I never scrolled down enough to see it. Still, I've already got an HS and an H... I don't really see myself getting any new basses in the future. Still wouldn't mind trying one though.

Top Bottom