• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tom F

So a couple weeks ago I picked up two very nice Music Man Basses - a Stingray 4 2-banded and a cool medallion gold Sterling. The Stingray ended up being cool but not cool - yes it was a 2 band and trans orange, but shortly after I posted my NBD thread I found out that the 2 band was an aftermarket mod, and the bass still had the side of body hole for eve jack. Argh! Still have to decide what to do about that one - bass still sounds great though so I’ll probably wait to find a OEM 3 band setup and swap it back in at some point.

The Sterling was a lot of fun, but I kept having this nagging “I want a 5 String in the house” feeling. Then seemingly out of nowhere a very early Stingray 5 appeared. Extremely low serial (2 digit), looked like it had been taken care of but *played*. Looking it up in the serial thread it came back with a completion date in July 1988, which makes it a very early example in the first few months of production. Seller was looking for a 4 banger, and I decided to take a shot. Long story short we worked out a deal and the Stingray came home with me. One of my longest serving and favorite basses was an early 2000’s Stingray 5 with the ceramic pickup. Wasn’t sure what to expect of this one but i am definitely a fan or the original alnico pickup and pre amp voicing. The bass has some real wear, including a chunk of the back that apparently was grafted on after a particularly nasty fall. According to the guy I got it from, he had bought it from the second owner, with the original owner being a touring bassist in a country band. Wondering if it’s that players initials (HB) that were carved by the bridge?

So I’m a very happy camper. My world feels much more balanced with a Stingray 5 back in the house, and it’s just a killer bass that I’m thinking the honeymoon is going to linger for a while.

Enough talk - I know pics are the reason you’re here...
D88D4F5D-2AD5-4EBB-B739-6087F3915DCF.jpg BDFB44DE-D1D7-4E7F-93C1-71F8491CE634.jpg EC8FA5E7-753A-41D6-B3D9-995D229225C9.jpg DD55E998-67A7-4F81-A39D-BBFE9FEEDF34.jpg 9E3D4364-48EE-4649-AA21-1166B4DBF668.jpg

Last edited:

Bert

Wow. Never saw a lower serialnumber.
6 bolts was introduced with the SR5, no logo plate, everything is perfect.
My sabre got a similar hit at the backside back then.

five7

Killer SR5, owned a red one from the same year. Loved the neck and the tone. Should of kept it, hang onto yours!

Tom F

Thanks everybody! I have a history of not holding onto things for long, but as I’ve gotten older and my situation has stabilized, I’ve been able to hold onto a few basses, even as I try other ones out. This one bonded instantly, and is definitely a keeper. Love the age/history, love the tone, love the neck and the way it feels, and I really dig the look. This seems like the kind of bass that has lived long enough to have some awesome stories to tell.

Let me put it this way - if any of you see my trying to sell it, either smack me upside the figurative head or buy it! No, to plot my path to a Big Al (or maybe a bongo)...

liverbird

Very nice! Loving the early ones... This one looks like it's been played a lot, surely a good sign! What's the weight?

Tom F

My dream bass.....

Scott - you can have dibs if I ever lose my mind. This one is as good as any of the great basses you and I have swapped over the years.

Very nice! Loving the early ones... This one looks like it's been played a lot, surely a good sign! What's the weight?

Not a lightweight at 10.5 lbs, but manageable since the balance is pretty spot on, especially with a wide strap.

Top Bottom