• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jfker

Hello.
I am an owner of 1990 Music Man Silhouette.
Guitar originally came with usual tuners, and now i want to upgrade it with locking.
I asked support, if i could buy tuners from current Silo model.
Response was positive, but mounting screw hole in shaller m6 tuners located in a different spot on newer model.
I dont want to drill new holes.
I searched around other tuner manufacturers, but didnt found an easy swap.
Maybe someone had the same problem? Could you point to me something that will fit?
Thank you.

20171029_121417.jpg

P.S. Sorry if there grammar errors, not my native language.

beej

Sorry, I don't know of anything that's a direct fit without requiring some work.

As the support folks said, you can use the M6 tuners, but you would have to drill a very small hole to fit them. It's not too hard- I have done it on a few different guitars that came with the original non-locking tuners. So that would be my suggestion. (You can always take it to a tech if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.)

tbonesullivan

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a choice. For some reason Schaller used that particular screw location on those M6 tuners, and it's been a problem for tons of people over the years who want direct replacement locking tuners. Maybe GOTOH makes something that will work?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Sorry, I don't know of anything that's a direct fit without requiring some work.

As the support folks said, you can use the M6 tuners, but you would have to drill a very small hole to fit them. It's not too hard- I have done it on a few different guitars that came with the original non-locking tuners. So that would be my suggestion. (You can always take it to a tech if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.)

A good tech or luthier will be able to fill the old holes and make it not very visible to the naked eye, and then drill and install the new tuners perfectly. I don't think it will affect the value of the guitar in any way and I for one would just go ahead and do it.

jones4tone

That's great if you found something that's a direct fit. If that doesn't pan out, Graphtech makes locking tuners that come with multiple mounting plates to replace several different styles without drilling the head stock. I don't know for sure if they have a plate that would fit the original pattern on your Silo, but worth a look if it comes to that.

Top Bottom