• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jayded

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but not new to Musicman, I'm just transitioning from dabbling in bass for a few years to finally following my dream and learning guitar. I'm currently eyeing off an MM Jp6 Pdn starry night finish.

I currently own a MM silo special but found it's not really to my liking as I dont think I'm a single coil guy. I'm a fan of alternative and progressive metal as well as heavy rock and 90s grunge stuff but listen to almost anything.

I'm wondering what everyone's experience with the Jp6 is like? What are they like to play? and just how many different sounds can you get out of the liquifire/crunch lab combo?

I'm honestly a bit of a guitar noob so any and all advice is welcome. It's a pretty high spec guitar considering I'm learning but I have an mm stingray 4H in neptune blue with a roasted maple neck that makes me not want to play any other sort of neck and the JP6 I'm looking at is definitely a forever guitar.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all,

Jay

johnnyboogie

Welcome to the forum Jay and all the best with your new adventure!! =D

Tonally speaking, you won't have an issue producing tones for progressive metal etc. with the afore-mentioned pickup combo.

As far as playability and comfort are concerned, I believe you will face a revelation there.. =)

Jayded

Sounds awesome, I've only just realized that the Jp6 PDN I'm looking at is without the piezo which I haven't decided if that's a bad thing or not (simple is sometimes better). I'm worried if the Jp6 is too much of a metal/heavy rock orientated guitar (I've heard a JPX 7 live and it absolutely killed prog metal tones). Just how much tonal variety can you get from a JP6?

I've also played a Valentine that I couldn't get a bad tone out of and I loved the neck I just wasn't sold on the look. The Valentine is roughly the same price as the Jp6 PDN so that's an option too.

johnnyboogie

The piezo will give an additional 4 tones basically. The piezo sound, plus 3 mixed piezo-magnetic sounds (piezo combined with the 3 magnetic positions). Not to mention the greatly influencing EQ, which really gives you a wide range of tone-shaping.

When it comes to the magnetic tones, you should expect a balanced tone slightly favouring the Bass and Mid frequencies that the pickups have been tuned to.

No tweeding, Fender-ish sounds overall but you can always swap pickups.

The middle position in the magnetic setup has a very nice scooped sound that comes from splitting the two hum buckers into single coils.

You can always install push-pull pots in order to be able to split the two humbuckers as well, which will also give you additional sounds with the piezo mix.

Jayded

Thanks heaps Johnny. The Starry night JP6 was just way too nice to pass up and its the only starry night Jp6 bought into Australia by this supplier. I definitely love the idea of putting in push pull controls to split the humbuckers at some point but maybe a little further down the track. Just super stoked to be buying something as nice as the Jp6

image005.jpg image003.jpg image010.jpg image008.jpg image009.jpg

johnnyboogie

You got it?!!

I absolutely adore the sparkle, and the marker-less ebony fretboard.. And what a neck figuring huh?

Beauty all the way!!

Spudmurphy

Hi.

i had a JP6 for a while - soundwise it was great. But it was the only guitar with a neck profile that cramped my forearm.
I had an offer which I couldn't refuse and sold it to a good home!!

Jayded

I haven't quite gotten it yet but they are pictures of the actual guitar. I'd been staring at the pictures for a week and for my skill level I think its more than adequate.. push pull pots are definitely a consideration though. I'm actually really happy with the Jp6 neckwise Spudmurphy... as I have a silhouette and the neck on that could be a tiny bit wider for me so I think the Jp6 should be right on the money

johnnyboogie

If I am not mistaken, there were two Starry Night options. The one with the matching headstock, and the one without just like on these pictures.

Have you placed an order already or is it still in the oven so to say? =)

Jayded

I really dont know anything about neck profiles but I was looking more at the neck width. As I'm in Australia that's the only Starry Night Jp6 that's been bought into the country by the Australian distributor so it's just whats available through the guitar shop I frequent. I had a stingray pdn with a natural headstock and I love natural timber and finishes so it's perfect for me

Spudmurphy

Hi Jayded.

I'm really not dissing the JP6 ... after all tens of thousands of people get on fine with it.

I'm not the only person to experience a cramping with it - but there again - I'm not a young man!

if you search on this forum I started a thread on various neck profiles and you can see how shallow the profile is.

i've had many eb guitars and this was the only one to cause me problems.

Ironically I totally rebuilt that JP6 and resurrected it - so you could say I knew it intimately !!!

johnnyboogie

Silo .8180 at the 1st fret and .9300 at the 12th
JP6 was .7285 at the 1st and .8380 at the 12th

Just found this info on an old thread.

Go for it then!!

Jayded

That's really interesting to know.. I honestly can't say I have much experience with them and the silo felt fine.. I did try a jp6 in person briefly and a Jp7 which felt very similar to my stingray basses neck but thinner. I have huge hands but honestly I had issues with cramping in my forearm at the first frets on my bass

Spudmurphy

Silo .8180 at the 1st fret and .9300 at the 12th
JP6 was .7285 at the 1st and .8380 at the 12th

Just found this info on an old thread.

Go for it then!!

But the profiles are different - and that's the point I'm making. Personally I find the necks of the Al, Silo, Axis, Sub to be all very similar. The JP6 however is a "different beast".

johnnyboogie

Hi Spud =) By 'profile' is it by any chance meant the 'shape' of the neck? As in a C-shape, D-shape, V-shape etc.?

I'm not an expert and guitar 'terms' sometimes can be slightly confusing. The reference on the numbers above was primarily because Jayded said he was looking for info regarding the neck width.

Spudmurphy

Hi Spud =) By 'profile' is it by any chance meant the 'shape' of the neck? As in a C-shape, D-shape, V-shape etc.?

I'm not an expert and guitar 'terms' sometimes can be slightly confusing. The reference on the numbers above was primarily because Jayded said he was looking for info regarding the neck width.

Ha I get confused by terms too. Neck and fretboard spring to mind lol.
Yeah the profile is the C shape D shape W shape (just joking on the last one).

Width is pretty much important to me - smallish hands mean that I cannot play a baseball bat neck.
I find the Albert/Silo/Axis/EVH width and profile give me no problems.

(I don't cramp up on my 74 Les Paul either - but hardly play that now)
The JP6 neck has a very flat profile - which caused me some problem in my left fretting forearm - ironically I contracted tennis elbow in my right arm which I'm glad to say has 99% cleared up with exercise.

As I say, I'm in the minority and not everybody will get the cramps. I used to play 2 x 45 min sets and found that I couldn't play it all night.

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

I have found out that 'baseball bat' necks don't suit me either. Not in terms of fingers' length, but too much material gives a slight sense of discomfort. I understand however that the the very flat C-shape profile the JP line has can be for a specified audience as well.

Really glad to hear you are back to shape =)

Hand & arm injuries can be very frustrating for instrument players =(

Top Bottom