• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

chiliphil1

Hello everyone, I've just picked up my first EBMM guitar! It's a Luke 3 with rosewood neck. I'm really liking the guitar so far, tone is good but seemed a little muddy to me. I bought it used and didn't know about all of the features, I read online that it has a boost with a push/push vol pot. I went to check on mine and no push/push.. I opened the back and someone (no clue why) has removed the boost and tossed a tiny import 250k volume pot in the guitar. So, I need to replace that tiny incorrect pot ASAP and I would love to have the boost feature.

I'm looking for a source for the push/push volume pot and whatever else I need for the boost circuit.

Thank you for any help. Glad to be part of the MM family!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also need a wiring diagram to figure out how the boost is set in the circuit if possible. Thank you again.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Oh man, that really stinks! It's more than just a boost as well, it's got a trim pot to boost certain positions in the blade switch to compensate for volume differences.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome toteh forum ChiliPhil!

Call Music Man customer service (see link in my signature below this post). You cna certainly buy a new pot form them. If you don;t have the required circuitry for the boost etc. that may be a problem, but call them and ask.

chiliphil1

Oh man, that really stinks! It's more than just a boost as well, it's got a trim pot to boost certain positions in the blade switch to compensate for volume differences.

Welcome toteh forum ChiliPhil!

Call Music Man customer service (see link in my signature below this post). You cna certainly buy a new pot form them. If you don;t have the required circuitry for the boost etc. that may be a problem, but call them and ask.

Thank you both, I’ll contact them by phone and see what they say. Hopefully I can get this worked out as I would really like to have that feature. I almost got a majesty which had the boost (it was new) but liked the feel of this one more. If, for whatever reason I can’t get this going I may have to take it back and go with the other one.

jzeijen

Isn't the boost on the earlier versions (aka the ones with the rosewood neck) of the LIII on the tone knob?

Congrats on a killer guitar by the way!

chiliphil1

Isn't the boost on the earlier versions (aka the ones with the rosewood neck) of the LIII on the tone knob?

Congrats on a killer guitar by the way!

Thank you.

I was just reading about it and yes, I think it is on the tone pot. Apparently there is supposed to be a pcb in there that the pots are mounted to, that is all gone. It’s just 2 pots in there. I guess the previous owner didn’t know what they had and decided they didn’t like the pcb, I have no idea why.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I was just reading about it and yes, I think it is on the tone pot. Apparently there is supposed to be a pcb in there that the pots are mounted to, that is all gone. It’s just 2 pots in there. I guess the previous owner didn’t know what they had and decided they didn’t like the pcb, I have no idea why.

It was on one of the pots initially and the moved to the other. Too bad you don't still have them. EBMM don't usually sell proprietary parts without it being in exchange for an existing faulty one. Like I said call them and see what they say. Also, ask them about identifying the pickups to make sure you have the original ones.

chiliphil1

It was on one of the pots initially and the moved to the other. Too bad you don't still have them. EBMM don't usually sell proprietary parts without it being in exchange for an existing faulty one. Like I said call them and see what they say. Also, ask them about identifying the pickups to make sure you have the original ones.

Will do, I’m going to call them here shortly. As far as I can tell the pups are original, they look like the ones in photos I’ve seen and they have the wires marked “B/M/N” so, I can pull them but I think they’re right.

For the time being, I’ve replaced the stupid little dime sized pot that was in there with a full sized CTS 500k. The pot that I pulled was marked 25k, now whether that was an abbreviation for 250 or if it was actually 25k I’m not sure but, I’ll say that it is a completely different guitar now.

I’ll update what MM tells me.

beej

I thought the volume pot was 25k (originally a small push/push 25k pot) - it's the volume for the active circuit.

chiliphil1

Just got off the phone with them. They will not let me buy the board so, I’m out of luck on that one. I don’t think I’m going to return the guitar, I like it so, I’ll make it work. I went ahead and ordered the push/push pot which from the factory is a 25k. I went with a 500 so that I can wire it into the guitar without the active electronics and I’ll get an aftermarket boost to use with the 500 pot.

Thanks again for the help guys. I wish the previous owner hadn’t butchered this thing.

tbonesullivan

Any chance you could track down the previous owner and see if they still have the electronics? I don't get why people butcher stuff like that. EBMM electronics are world class, and far better than the dime sized pot the previous owner put in there.

NikolaK

I find the trim pot for balacing the positions between pickups EXTREMELY useful. One of the main reasons for selling L2 was (besides not caring for EMG) volume difference between bridge and all other positions. They solved that problem on L3 and im super satisfied. No reason to pull it out... Unless you are crazy lol

chiliphil1

Any chance you could track down the previous owner and see if they still have the electronics? I don't get why people butcher stuff like that. EBMM electronics are world class, and far better than the dime sized pot the previous owner put in there.

Nope, I got her from guitar center so, no way to know. I hate it not being stock but, I’ve decided that I’m going to go with an emg afterburner. That’ll give me the boost. I won’t have the volume balance option but I’ll be happy with the boost alone.

beej

So, a friend of mine bought the electronics/pickups from a L3 and hasn't used them. If you're really eager for the electronics, let me know and I can see if he'll part with them.

chiliphil1

So, a friend of mine bought the electronics/pickups from a L3 and hasn't used them. If you're really eager for the electronics, let me know and I can see if he'll part with them.

Yes, if he’s selling I’ll buy it. I don’t really need the pickups but I’ll take the rest.

Top Bottom