• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Franzeee

I have been using a competitors strings for 30 some-odd years. An issue here and there but always taken care of.

I recently purchased a 3 pack of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky guitar strings. Just to expand my horizons (I'll be checking out some others too-I like to step outside my comfort zones :) The strings came in a plastic/metallic-ish bag and then each set was wrapped in a plastic bag and each string was in a separate paper envelope. The only thing marked as being recyclable were the paper envelopes.

My question:

Is it important to my fellow guitar players to be environmentally conscious? Do you think companies (like Ernie Ball) should do more to make their packaging "earth friendly"?

I know people can be VERY brand loyal and will buy X product from X company no matter what (You know, the Ford vs. Chevy type crowd). I'm am not asking anyone to switch or anything of the like. Just curious as to how you choose a product and if environmental issue are part of that buying process. If you are concerned about it; would you take time to voice your concerns? Do you? Have you?

Obviously (I think) it's fairly clear where I stand. I won't be buying EB strings again. I just find it appalling that in a day and age where it is just as easy to be eco-conscious (and can even be more cost effective in many cases) that so much unnecessary plastic and such will end up in a landfill. I wrote EB a note asking the same thing and I will update this thread with their reply.

Now, it is possible that the packaging IS recyclable; in which case, why is it not marked so?

In conclusion, I am NOT writing this to be combative, to slam EB or to be another picketer waving a "my flag is flying and it is the only right one". I sincerely respect all views and opinions; Does NOT mean I have to like nor agree with them. I CAN still respect them and be respectful of those holding them. I am looking for dialogue and thoughts and maybe even ideas. Hell, we are al part of the musician family. We ALL share a love of the amazing thing called guitars. That makes us brothers and sisters to me...

Peace

Fro

I’m guessing you also don’t buy Hershey or KitKat bars :)
The packaging doesn’t bother me at all. I buy my strings by the 12 pack when they’re on sale. I like the last set I open to be rust free out of the package.

Tollywood

Welcome to the forum.

They are packaged like that so we don't buy rusty strings. Seeing that the packaging prevents oxidation and guarantees that I get a nice set of strings, I would say that it serves a useful purpose and it isn't used for looks or cost cutting.

ohbugger

I enjoy having strings packaged individually, in their own envelopes. My perspective is it is nice to see a company taking the extra steps to make it easy for us to grab the correct string right away, out of the package, as they are kept separate by their envelopes. In this day and age, plenty of companies "cheapen out" (like throwing all strings together into one bag), whether or not they outright state that it is the "eco friendly" thing to do.

Just my view, of course - and this will be an interesting discussion to watch!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Interesting discussion. I think it's an important question. There are lots of potential factors that can sway our purchase decisions/brand loyalty. I look at D'Addario's packaging - carton outer and plastic interior. EBMM are plastic/foil outer and paper inner. That's about the same in my mind, just opposite ways of going about solving the same problem. Personlly, I prefer the convenience of the individual paper string wrappers, rather than having six strings all together and trying to distinguish ball end colors on a dark stage in a hurry. And I also prefer the tone and feel of EBMM strings, (though D'Addario also make excellent strings) so that's my purchase decision made.

Compared to the environmental impact of packaging from most other consumer goods, I would imagine the guitar string packaging is pretty far down the list in terms of volume. And most of my guitar playing life was a relatively thick clear plastic outer sleeve, full color printed card, and then strings in what I think may have been thicker individual paper packaging. So the current way of doing things is an improvement. And the current packaging keeping strings fresher longer may even help to keep wastage down and therefore lessen the volume a little more.

BTW, electric guitar strings are of course recylcable too, don't forget!

Rick C

I recently restrung my acoustic 12 string with a D'Addario set. Only one plastic bag inside with two fat coils each consisting of six strings; very "green". Never seen this before; I assumed at first that one combo coil was a regular 6 string set and the second was the double-up for 12 string but this was not the case as it was obvious that one coil had the top Es and Bs combined. The ball ends were colour coded either purple or brass. The big fatties are pretty obvious and the very skinnies too but some of the intermediate gauges were not easy to gauge. For the first time in 46 years, I had to get my Vernier caliper out and double check string gauges. No biggie for me as I have the caliper but if not, I would have been guessing some of the strings' positions.

Franzeee

I appreciate the replies! In reply to a couple of comments; EB string packaging is not recyclable except for the paper inserts.

That was my issue. While in the scheme of things, this may be a minuscule piece of the amount of trash produced. However, does that justify not making the effort to do things differently? Would it be that difficult to use recyclable packaging and accomplish the same things?

As for rusty strings, I have not gotten a rusty string from any manufacturer in decades. If that were a significant issue, it would still be very easy to make the bags recyclable.

As for KitKats and Hersheys, I like peanut butter cups and Hersheys as a company has been using less and less pure cocoa in their chocolate over the years, so they just don't taste as good to me as other brands. And I am not sure what that has to do with strings :p But there ya go!

I do agree that having the strings individually wrapped can be convenient. However, again, for me, I would give up that small and occasional convenience to do that little extra to be more kind to the environment. I guess having small children again has really made me re-evaluate life and the world. I want them and their children to have a beautiful world to enjoy. Does my minuscule amount of action make a difference? Well, if I don't do it, I have no right to complain about the amount of trash that pollutes our earth do I?

Again, I really do appreciate the willingness to discuss and everyones candor. If there is one thing we can all do better it's communicate!

As an aside; to date, I have not gotten a reply from EB

Peace and rock ya'll!

flyingvluvr

I love Ernie Ball packaging, especially the Super Slinkys, I love that pink color. And I appreciate the fact that the strings are packaged to keep them from rusting or going dead. I know the individual string envelopes are recyclable, but I don't know about the outer packaging.

LenaEBMMfan

Me too +1
Very 80s
Funny thing I saw the title
I was playing my new Nintendo switch and a game has an intro where you enter a guitar shop during the cinematic scene
On the wall is a whole rack of EBMM slinky, super slinky, in yellow , pink, green (I believe my fave is the 7 string super slinky light top heavy bottom?)... but I was so amused that Japan loves EBMM too... they do know the best, and in fact, Ibanez is the only other company I think is able to be on par with an American company (they’re j custom series is proof )

In any case, I think EBMM being recognized by the biggest video game console ever is pretty cool so congrats guys!

On a side note, is there a flat wound set, like a jazz 8/9 light top, with a 54/56 bottom? 6 or 7 string
(It’s for a fretless vigier)

Eilif

"However, does that justify not making the effort to do things differently?"

Are you implying that Ernie Ball has not made an effort? If so, how could you possibly know that? Aren't you just making an assumption?

But to answer your question:
"Do you think companies (like Ernie Ball) should do more to make their packaging "earth friendly"?"

Yes. I care about pollution. But I also want a quality product -- which includes the strings not being rusty, as well as being identifiable, i.e. I can easily and quickly see which string is the "11" and which one is the "9" -- at a reasonable price. If that means non-recyclable packaging, then so be it.

Maybe one day, a solution will be found that is economical and cuts down on solid waste and is less polluting, but until that day comes, some -- and it really is some, if one looks at the big picture -- trash that doesn't get recycled is truly a small price to pay for the greater benefit of a better product at a reasonable price.

Maybe where you live, rust on guitar strings is not an issue. If so, good for you. But where I live, humidity is a problem.

spychocyco

I do what I can to be "earth friendly," but not if it means sacrificing quality of something that's important to me. Call it selfish if you want, but there it is.

To me, the sealed foil packages are superior to the old plastic pouch approach. I can buy 10 or 12 sets at a time, save a little money and be sure that when I get to the last one, it will still be good. That wasn't always the case with the old packaging when I could buy three or four and sometimes have trouble with that last set. High humidity and fluctuating temps will do that. And the last time I got a set of strings where they were all wound around each other, I tied those things in such a knot trying to get them apart that I couldn't use them, so I'm voting for the individual pouches, too. :)

Franzeee

"Are you implying that Ernie Ball has not made an effort? If so, how could you possibly know that? Aren't you just making an assumption?"
-- My assumption is based own the fact that EB's packaging does not reflect an effort into being more eco-friendly .Their packaging has not changed in many, many moons. I think that is a fair assumption.

But to answer your question:
"Do you think companies (like Ernie Ball) should do more to make their packaging "earth friendly"?"

Yes. I care about pollution. But I also want a quality product -- which includes the strings not being rusty, as well as being identifiable, i.e. I can easily and quickly see which string is the "11" and which one is the "9" -- at a reasonable price. If that means non-recyclable packaging, then so be it.

--Word. That is the heart of my question! I will add though, that I have lived in Alaska (Kodiak), Central Maine, Massachusetts, Salt Lake, St. George, Colorado amongst others and in the last 20+ years I have NEVER had a rusty string.

Maybe one day, a solution will be found that is economical and cuts down on solid waste and is less polluting, but until that day comes, some -- and it really is some, if one looks at the big picture -- trash that doesn't get recycled is truly a small price to pay for the greater benefit of a better product at a reasonable price.

Maybe where you live, rust on guitar strings is not an issue. If so, good for you. But where I live, humidity is a problem.
--See my reply above.

I have to laugh a bit, because it seems like some are taking this as an attack on "their" string of choice! Everyone i entitled to their opinion and their choices. I am merely asking a question about being eco-friendly.

Someone implied that foil packaging is superior to plastic packaging. Not sure how that could be. They both seal equally well for all intents and purposes to the discussion. So that is a moot point.

I would bet that if 100 guitar players were given 100 sets each of strings from the top 3 manufacturers and did a blind test (strings being the same gauge and type (Nickel, flat wound, etc.). not one would be able to pick out "their" string set more than a hand full of times-that would goes into statistical probability ;)
I am NOT saying that your/our/my choices are unfounded! I am saying that it is VERY, VERY subjective. We humans (especially musicians) are VERY brand loyal people (look at the never ending Ford vs. Chevy debate!). But I am digressing from the topic at hand. (ANYONE want to participate in a blind test with me?!?!?!) I think that would be VERY interesting! `Cause, maybe I would be proven quite wrong! And, I would gladly eat crow (although, I am rather fond of those birds). And I could be proven quite correct too.

And hey, we are all part of the same thing and we are all incredibly passionate about the same thing! GUITARS! THey're freaking amazing and feed our hearts and souls like nothing else. Keep the passion of the instrument and lets be open to possibility!

I would challenge those of you who would like to see more eco-friendly packaging from your string company of choice to contact said company and share your feelings. takes less than 5 minutes to drop an email...

UPDATE: To date I have still not heard back from Customer service and I just a few minutes ago sent a miller message to the marketing department to see if I would get a reply. So far, I giber EB a 1 (out of 10, 10 being best) in customer support. I truly hope (I have numerous EB products including my favorite way pedal!) and I would like to think that their customer support is better than this.

Keep it rocking ya'll!
Peace

Eilif

I bought a pack of D'Addario strings, just to see how they package things differently. Up until recently, I've ever only used strings that come in individual envelopes, mostly Ernie Ball strings.

Some thoughts regarding D'Addario string packaging:
1. The inner, sealed plastic package is not recyclable where I live. It goes in the regular trash.
2. The outer, cardboard package is not recyclable where I live. It also goes in the regular trash.
3. Having multiple strings "wrapped" together is a huge turn off for me. I absolutely hate having to untangle string, wire, etc. (I'm not a fan and never will be of earphones. I much prefer the headphones that used to come with a Sony Walkman than the earphones that Apple supplies with the iPod.) Although unwinding the guitar strings isn't a big deal, I don't like having to do it. I much prefer individual strings coming in individual envelopes.
4. Using color-coded ball ends is a drag. Between presbyopia and myopia, my poor eyes have a hard enough time as it is. I much prefer looking at an envelope with a big number "9" or "11" printed on it than trying identify a string gauge by the color of its ball end.

So from my perspective, the D'Addario packaging is not any less polluting than is the Ernie Ball packaging, although it is more humbug for me.

I've also bought GHS and PRS strings, and to me, it's all the same with regards to packaging: everything has to go into the regular trash. So neither of these is less polluting than Ernie Ball.

In the case of D'Addario vs. Ernie Ball, I suppose one might look at it as being one (thick) cardboard envelope vs. six (thin) paper envelopes, but I don't know that the mass of one is substantially more or less than the mass of the other, so I guess it's a wash in terms of how much wood pulp is used. And with regards to Ernie Ball's outer "Element Shield" packaging vs. D'Addario's inner plastic package, I don't know which is more polluting, at least for where I live. Again, neither is recyclable.

But to re-visit the original question -- should companies do more to make their packaging "earth friendly" -- well, certainly, if it is feasible and reasonable. Who wouldn't want this? I mean, seriously, *nobody* wants more pollution. But if getting there means, for example, having a pack of strings cost $10, then that's not worth it considering how little pollution is generated by the packaging for those strings.

spychocyco

Someone implied that foil packaging is superior to plastic packaging. Not sure how that could be. They both seal equally well for all intents and purposes to the discussion. So that is a moot point.

The old EB plastic packages didn't seal, though. They just had a flap on the back that tucked in. Perhaps sealed plastic would be just as good as the foil. I can't say. I can only relate my experiences based on the previous EB plastic packaging and the new foil packaging, and in my experience in the Louisiana swamp, the foil packaging is better. :)

Top Bottom